First Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jmetz

Hi,
I'm running my first marathon on the 28th of this month.

If you were to give a first timer one piece of information / advice what would it be?

My greatest distance to date is 23 miles.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi,
I'm running my first marathon on the 28th of this month.

If you were to give a first timer one piece of information / advice what would it be?

My greatest distance to date is 23 miles.

Don't start off too fast !

Which marathon is it ?

Best of luck - enjoy it !

compo

Veteran
Start off at a comfortable pace then immediately slow down. With the excitement and nervous anticipation you almost certainly will start off too fast but it wont feel it for a few miles until the adreneline rush is over. Then find a nice lady in skin tight tights and stay behind her for a few miles.

Pottsy

Some kind of sustenance.
Vaseline.

They're separate tips by the way.

Also it's all in the mind, if you can do 23 miles, relax you'll be fine, but it will hurt :smile:

Arsen Gere

Über Member
+1 for Pottsy's comments.
I vaseline my feet too. No blisters.
FWIW the longest distance I've done in training is 11 miles. I run the 11 to work and then 11 back again some days. I did an ironman on the back of this and finished Kielder in the top 40. So with 23 it should be straight forward as long as you remember to eat and don't go daft. 8 Jelly Babies and a couple of gels do it for me. If there is an isotonic drink on offer take it.

cnb

Veteran
Take it easy the first few miles and try to ease into a nice steady pace....I've ran a few, 2hrs 16min being my best time..Good luck..

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Don't change anything from training, no "race day" shirt, lucky pants, retightened laces etc.

I've only run as far as 17 miles, but I think most important is hydration, electrolytes and trying to get some sugar into you regularly. Don't drink too much plain water either, i made that mistake in a half and was broken by mile 10 :sad:

VamP

Banned
Take it easy the first few miles and try to ease into a nice steady pace....I've ran a few, 2hrs 16min being my best time..Good luck..

Only 8 minutes off the London Olympic winning time. That is spectacular!!!!

cnb

Veteran
Yep, I did get my vest..Represented G/B and England a couple of times.My best half was 64.03...York half marathon..I used to run for Sunderland Harriers...Thanks for the compliments....Ps.. i never caught the bus haha (we don't mention him)

Pottsy

Wow, due respect, I expected a typo when you said 2:16. My best half is just over half an hour more than yours and I'm proud of that :blush:

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

So eat Vaseline and follow attractive women whilst running at what feels like a reduced pace. :smile:

It's the Preston one.

I'm just keen to try and ensure I run it well. Timing wise I'm at a loss. I ran a 1h31 HM two weeks ago, but I'm unsure as to how much I need to drop the pace.

I find ny problem is always that when I 'try' for a good time I hit problems, but relaxing is easier said that done in a crowd as we all know.

Top Bottom