First Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Nice one. I can only dream of doing a marathon, I'm doing the Great South Run in a couple of weeks, and then the Gosport Half Marathon a couple of weeks later if I survive.

compo

Veteran
Just remember that 20 miles is half way. It is the last six that are tough so run the last six first and the remaining 20 will be a doddle.

Hi,
I'm running my first marathon on the 28th of this month.

If you were to give a first timer one piece of information / advice what would it be?

My greatest distance to date is 23 miles.

1* ENJOY IT (ie dont get too wrapped up about times etc etc, if you have trained well you will perform and hopefully you wont get an injury during the run!)
2* Have your name printed on your top. It will only cost a few pounds and you will get a lot of people calling out your name and supporting you. It does make a difference :smile:

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

Just over one week to go. Picked up a strain in my calf Tuesday night running so have only been cycling since. It's easing off now which is good news.

McMillan calculator reckons me to be on for a 3h16 which I would be overjoyed with to be honest. I'm not holding ny breath.

Looking to get another marathon distance in before New year then solid training for London

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just over one week to go. Picked up a strain in my calf Tuesday night running so have only been cycling since. It's easing off now which is good news.

McMillan calculator reckons me to be on for a 3h16 which I would be overjoyed with to be honest. I'm not holding ny breath.

Looking to get another marathon distance in before New year then solid training for London

That is a sensible approach.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Seriously though ... take it very easy early on and easy in the first half generally and try to enjoy the experience. Don't worry too much about your finishing time. (These are things I didn't do in my first - and last - marathon). And don't hold your breath.

Good luck and have fun.

OP
OP
Jmetz

Jmetz

Two days. Coccyx is still sore, I believe in relation to my strained hamstring though that feels OK now.

Rest tomorrow, expo in the morning then off to watch football. While munching throughout.

Top Bottom