First Mini-Tour: Great!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

Went up from Beverley to a village near Malton on first day; over to Scarborough on Day Two; back over the Moors to Thornton-le-Dale on Day Three (amazing - breath taking scenery and a lovely 3 1/2 mile free wheel into Snainton); then back home.

We took our time, and spent about seven or eight hours a day 'on the road'. Lots of breaks to sit and enjoy some food, or just chill for a bit. We didn't travel on any A roads and were mostly on single tracks. Lots of great memories. Can't wait to do it again.

I took my Karakum with two 25l pannier bags and a top box. It was a great ride - I walked up, I think five hills that were about 16% and 17% - but that was me not the bike! I was worried my girlfriend might find it hard going - but she only walked up a few more. She borrowed her mum's bike - a hybrid Carrera Crossfire 2, but it held up well: we locked the suspension, and although I think she could have done with a few more gears, the 'super low' 21 gear pretty much did the trick. She had two smaller panniers, about half full on. She was completely whacked about 5 miles from the end on the first day, but after that she was in her stride. She has decided she definitely wants a tourer now - so looking to get one next month.

Both feel great after the trip, and even got the start of a tan in April! Did B and B this time, as were unsure about the weather(and I didn't want to put my girlfriend off cycling through being sat in a wet tent for three nights!) , but will camp next time - and perhaps even do a bit of free camping: I like the idea of being completely away from it all - and the fact that it is free of course! Looking forward to a Summer with lots of touring.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Great to hear that Bandini, sounds like you had a brilliant time.

Pics?

I have just got in from work, and have fitted my low riders, so my bike is almost ready to tour the Netherlands.

That sounds great, just what touring is all about and just what a first tour should be. Looks like you got it all right and hooked the girlfriend too, canny stuff.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Excellent. It's compulsive and great if your partner loves it as much as you. I'm in that happy position too.

HelenD123

Guru
Sounds fantastic Bandini. I'd planned something similar for the Easter Weekend but the fates conspired against me. Glad you were able to get out and make the most of this good weather.

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Yep Cathryn - I have lots of bookmarked pages in order of 'need'! So many nice things!

Shame Helen- so glad we didn't go the week before! Hopefully some good weather coming up. High pressure settling in apparently.

I will stick some photos up when I work out where to put 'em, CP. Netherlands will be great. I worked in Holland when I was 19 and fell in love with the place. Talking to Sarah about going touring there in the future - but then I have 101 ideas about touring now - compulsive indeed, Crackle!

When do you go, CP? Maybe get an East Yorks meet together again one weekend?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Bandini said:
I put a few photos in the gallery.

I have tried to view the page, but it takes ages to load. How did you import the photos?

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Oh bugger! I fast broadband, but they did take a while to load. I will get rid of that post, resize and load them up again

Top Bottom