First (motor) bike ride of the year.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I know there are a few fellow motor-bikers on here; so now we can have a thread about motorbikes and it doesn't matter if it goes off topic evolves :thumbsup:.

Dusted the cobwebs off the CBF600 today (and washed off the winter coat of ACF50 too), and took it for a good wee blast of about 100 miles. Largs to Greenock, then Paisley, Dalry, Troon, and back up the coast road to Largs. Felt really good to be out again, after the winter lay-off which in my case starts about the end of October. Bike was running great considering it spends the winter in my back garden under a good quality cover. Roll on some decent spring and summer weather; I need days like this so I can get my fix of biking AND cycling! :smile:

Herr-B

I miss my R6. :cry:

I don't miss forking out for servicing and tyres though.

yello

Bit nippy out there I bet!

My Thundercat (Yamaha YZF600R) is hibernating still but I am looking forward to the temperatures warming up so I can go for a ride. :smile:

Linford

I'm picking up a new battery for mine (ZX636R) in a bit from a local to me Ebay power seller (which is very handy), The old one isn't holding enough charge now to spin itover. The winter layup killed it :sad:

yello

I'he old one isn't holding enough charge now to spin itover. The winter layup killed it

My wife's ZZR6 suffered a similar fate a couple of winters ago. Consequently, I hook the bikes up to a battery charger every once in a while.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Bit nippy out there I bet!

Certainly was! Thermals on, with a fleece, a jumper and then the fully lined textile jacket and trousers. Winter gloves, balaclava under helmet, thick socks and boots. I could hardly bend to get on the bike :laugh: . Heated grips up full too. The coldest bit was when I stopped for a while in Troon and went for a walkabout without gloves or helmet. That's when I realised just how cold it really was :cold:.

Linford

Certainly was! Thermals on, with a fleece, a jumper and then the fully lined textile jacket and trousers. Winter gloves, balaclava under helmet, thick socks and boots. I could hardly bend to get on the bike :laugh: . Heated grips up full too. The coldest bit was when I stopped for a while in Troon and went for a walkabout without gloves or helmet. That's when I realised just how cold it really was :cold:.

Was it subzero ?

Am a bit wary about going out in minus conditions. I took it out last weekend for little more than about 15 miles to drop my neighbour off to pick up his van, but the roads are so greasy with the salt.
ACF 50 will be staying on mine for a bit.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Was it subzero ?

Am a bit wary about going out in minus conditions. I took it out last weekend for little more than about 15 miles to drop my neighbour off to pick up his van, but the roads are so greasy with the salt.
ACF 50 will be staying on mine for a bit.

According to the forecast it was about 3C max today, but factor in the wind chill of course.....
I don't like going out on the roads at this time of year when they're damp and the bike gets coated in salt and whatever other stuff they put down in winter. As an added bonus, 2 seconds worth of spray from a car/lorry and your visor is covered in cack and next time you turn into the sun you are blinded :ohmy:. Today the roads were dry though, so no need to even wash the bike when I got home.

D

Deleted member 20519

I'm going to start riding next year, any tips? ^_^

D

Deleted member 20519

Are you of them var born again bikers? If so, take your test again. If not, take your test.

I'll be old enough to do my CBT next year so obviously I'll be taking my test! My friend rides a CBR 125R and he's taken me to private land a few times to teach me the basics and show me how to ride it, I'm slowly getting better and feeling more comfortable on it. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm going to start riding next year, any tips? ^_^

Get some good thermals! :laugh:

I'm not sure how the learning process works these days, as I passed my test in 1983, when it was much simpler. You could buy a 125cc bike and - with zero compulsory training - ride it on the roads with L plates for as long as you liked until you decided to take your test. The test was half an hour on the road by yourself, with the examiner appearing at corners now and again to make sure you hadn't hit anything or fallen off, before giving you the magic "passed" certificate.

The best tip I can give you is go for it. Go to a reputable instructor (I learned with Ritchies, who are still in existence but have moved from Shettleston to Springburn. They do HGV training too). Do not bother buying a small bike as the first thing you will want once you pass your test is a "proper" bike. Use bikes supplied by whoever you decide to train with, then buy your own bike when you have passed the test. Buy as good riding gear as you can afford, such as helmet, waterproof jacket, trousers, boots and gloves. Especially the gloves; riding with cold hands is NOT fun!
Learn in the summer; as getting cold and wet in the winter might put you off the whole idea. Biking in nice summer weather is hard to beat. Much like cycling in that respect IMHO; but at least on a cycle you can generate your own heat.

Any more questions about biking, feel free to ask.

Lance Jack

Über Member
Top tips from Brandane, couldn't of wrote it better myself. I had the same sort of test, doing mine in 1986. My dad was a Ambulance man (pre paramedic days) and said I could ride a bike if they could buy me the helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. He had been to accidents where boys had come of riding in trainers, shorts and a helmet, left most of their skin as a skid mark across the road.
Miss a bike now though :sad:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Are you of them var born again bikers? If so, take your test again. If not, take your test.
Do you mean going back and starting all over again with theory test, hazard perception test, and then working through the other "modules" that have to be done these days? These things take a lot of time, not to mention expense.
By all means, it would be sensible for born-again-bikers to seek some form of TRAINING prior to going back on the road, but I'm not so sure about the test idea.

Hotblack Desiato

Do you mean going back and starting all over again with theory test, hazard perception test, and then working through the other "modules" that have to be done these days? These things take a lot of time, not to mention expense.
By all means, it would be sensible for born-again-bikers to seek some form of TRAINING prior to going back on the road, but I'm not so sure about the test idea.

Maybe not the whole lot. The problem is that returning bikers despite their maturity have a bad habit of overestimating their skills and killing themselves. Training is really what I had in mind although I found re-taking my test was a very useful way of doing it.

Top Bottom