First (motor) bike ride of the year.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i have found this interesting as i have been thinking of learning to ride a motorbike also. since i have a full car licence and already done the 2 part theory for that do i have to take the theory test again for motorcycle.

so you believe the best method being do CBT-theory test-Mod1-mod2 and then by your first bike.

also are you able to hire/rent a 125cc for practice purposes between cbt and full test.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
A proper DSA approved riding instructor would be the best person to talk to about this, but......

since i have a full car licence and already done the 2 part theory for that do i have to take the theory test again for motorcycle
Yes, you will need to sit theory and HP test again. The question base is different for each category of vehicle, as it was when I sat my HGV about 8 years ago.

so you believe the best method being do CBT-theory test-Mod1-mod2 and then by your first bike.
That depends on individual circumstances. I have seen a few people buying a 125cc bike then as soon as they pass their test they want rid of it to buy something bigger. Obviously it depends how much you paid for the 125 in the first place, and how much you can recoup determines whether it is a good idea or not.

also are you able to hire/rent a 125cc for practice purposes between cbt and full test.
Again not sure, but I would imagine that insurance restrictions probably mean that riding school bikes could only be used during lessons with a proper instructor, and I can't see anyone else renting out bikes to anyone without a full licence. If they do, I am sure it would be stupidly expensive.

Brandane thanks for the info.

the thing that is putting me off the most is the risk/danger factor of riding a motorbike. I ride my road bike (cube agree sl) on the road all the time at max speed of 18mph avg 11mph with car overtaking at speed leaving barely any room and other things like left hooks and people pulling out in front of you etc and still like cycling, so i don't why i am so bothered about it, i think it is all the people that i know don't ride motorbikes and they all say that they are dangerous and you are going to crash it at some point.

It would be nice to be able to keep up with traffic and have the benefits of a bicycle like filtering etc.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Brandane thanks for the info.

the thing that is putting me off the most is the risk/danger factor of riding a motorbike. I ride my road bike (cube agree sl) on the road all the time at max speed of 18mph avg 11mph with car overtaking at speed leaving barely any room and over things like left hooks and people pulling out in front of you etc and still like cycling, so i don't why i am so bothered about it, i think it is all the people that i know don't ride motorbikes and they all say that they are dangerous and you are going to crash it at some point.

It would be nice to be able to keep up with traffic and have the benefits of a bicycle like filtering etc.

There is no doubt that motorbikes are more vulnerable than cars to certain dangers such as being less visible due to their size (or lack of it), and once you lose control you have much less chance of recovering it (thinking here of a skid on diesel or ice), and if you do happen to have a collision then the consequences can be so much worse.
The positives to come out of that is that you become much more aware of hazards like ice and diesel; and you have to concentrate more on the task in hand. When did you last see a biker on the phone, putting on her make-up, playing with the radio/sat-nav/air conditioning settings etc..

I used to argue with my parents about the safety of a motorbike when compared to a bicycle, and gave the same arguments as you mention, i.e. you can keep up with the traffic flow and don't have drivers doing crazy close passes, you are wearing more and better protective gear, and if the need arises you have the power available to get you out of certain types of trouble. The only problem being as before, when things do go wrong you will probably be going a touch faster than you would be on a cycle! My own golden rule on the motorbike is to never forget your vulnerability and try to keep a safety zone around you at all times. Keep the bike well maintained, and remember that everyone else on the road is out to get you (they're not, but some healthy paranoia is a good thing!).

Proto

Legendary Member
Sold my Buell XB12 S Lightning last month, and I suspect my motorcycling days are over. Quite sad, I've enjoyed my time time on bikes over the years, fantastic fun, particularly road trip over to France and Germany with a few chums. (Le Mans, Nurburgring, or just hooning around).

Owned the following (not necessarily in this order): Honda Transalp, Moto Guzzi T3, Ducati 750SS, Honda Fireblade (x 3), Kawasaki KMX125, Honda CBR600, Honda RVF400 (x 2), Ducati Monster (x 2), BMW R1150R, Honda Hornet 600, Buell Lightning, BMW F650 Funduro, plus a 1953 BSA Bantam!

:cry:

irw

Quadricyclist
If my MP3 250 hadn't been showing it's engine management light, I would have been going to work on it this week. (20 miles each way across country) As it is, it's been with the mechanic waiting for them to recieve a new Lamba sensor :sad:

My fault really as the light started coming on just after I passed my car driving test, so I started using the car that Mrs. IRW inherited, but can't drive yet (still learning!), over winter, and forgot to get the bike seen too.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sold my Buell XB12 S Lightning last month, and I suspect my motorcycling days are over. Quite sad, I've enjoyed my time time on bikes over the years, fantastic fun, particularly road trip over to France and Germany with a few chums. (Le Mans, Nurburgring, or just hooning around).

Hmmmmm; I seem to remember telling myself the exact same thing when I sold my Fazer 600 in April 2011. I lasted 6 months before a CBF600 took its place :laugh:.
I have also enjoyed several continental trips, mainly France. Over the Alps to Monaco was a particularly memorable trip, even in constant rain and thunder storms for 3 days. The really long distance stuff is less of an attraction these days, especially since we lost the ferry link between Rosyth and Zeebrugge. It means that Hull or Newcastle are the nearest ferries and both are stupidly expensive unless you are able to organise your holidays months in advance (which I can't/won't). To get to Calais/Portsmouth is nearly 500 motorway miles by which time you've almost squared off your nice new back tyre :sad:.
In any case, we have the north of Scotland on our doorstep, which IF the weather is favourable is really hard to beat.

Linford

There is no doubt that motorbikes are more vulnerable than cars to certain dangers such as being less visible due to their size (or lack of it), and once you lose control you have much less chance of recovering it (thinking here of a skid on diesel or ice), and if you do happen to have a collision then the consequences can be so much worse.
The positives to come out of that is that you become much more aware of hazards like ice and diesel; and you have to concentrate more on the task in hand. When did you last see a biker on the phone, putting on her make-up, playing with the radio/sat-nav/air conditioning settings etc..

I used to argue with my parents about the safety of a motorbike when compared to a bicycle, and gave the same arguments as you mention, i.e. you can keep up with the traffic flow and don't have drivers doing crazy close passes, you are wearing more and better protective gear, and if the need arises you have the power available to get you out of certain types of trouble. The only problem being as before, when things do go wrong you will probably be going a touch faster than you would be on a cycle! My own golden rule on the motorbike is to never forget your vulnerability and try to keep a safety zone around you at all times. Keep the bike well maintained, and remember that everyone else on the road is out to get you (they're not, but some healthy paranoia is a good thing!).

I actually had this happen last weekend. They are digging up the roads my town, and so there are huge traffic jams in it ATM. I was out on my bike one evening, and happened on one. It was gridlock in my direction so I filtered up the side of it at about 15mph . As I drew level with an Audi A3 and about 5ft clear of the stationary line, without warning or indication, they just started doing a U-Turn into me.

I managed to wind it on, and get out of its way, but I was actually convinced they were going to clip the back end of the bike as I went past as the cars bumper swept under my tailpiece. They obviously didn't look and it was plain that they had just got fed up of sitting in the queue.
Had I been cycling, I'd have not had the power to roll it on as it all happened in a split second so maybe will have got hit by them. I looked back after I was clear, and they had frozen in place so obviously shook them up. It is as close to me getting knocked off without it actually happening in my memory of 30+ years of road biking.

yello

I find the levels of concentration I need on the moto are way higher than when driving - maybe it shouldn't be like that but it is. I find also, as I get older, I take way way fewer risks than I used to. I'm quite a tame rider these days. It's definitely not about speed! It can get irritating sometimes since because I ride (what was once considered) a 'sports bike', I find that I get twonk kids in hot hatches etc that seem to want to take me on. They'll barrel up behind me into bends and be quite intimidating. Of course, they've got their line, braking and gearing all wrong and I'll quickly loose them coming out of the bend! Only for them to then hammer up the next straight to catch me again. If it gets too much, I'll just pull over and let them go.

yello

I'd like some thoughts from our biker fraternity.

Last April, I had the misfortune to have an off. My first one in over a decade. I road into a sudden hail storm, the road was literally covered with hail stones, it looked like snow! I'd slowed up dramatically but the front went and I was down. No serious damage; a shoulder blade injury for me - broken gear hanger,wing mirror and some cracked/scratched fairing panels for the bike.

There's a big crack right across the nose fairing that I'd like to get sorted (at the moment it's simply got gaffa tape over it!). I'm imaging a 'new' one from a breaker would be too costly, but I haven't looked. Has anyone ever tried a fairing repair? Was it successful?

Linford

I'd like some thoughts from our biker fraternity.

Last April, I had the misfortune to have an off. My first one in over a decade. I road into a sudden hail storm, the road was literally covered with hail stones, it looked like snow! I'd slowed up dramatically but the front went and I was down. No serious damage; a shoulder blade injury for me - broken gear hanger,wing mirror and some cracked/scratched fairing panels for the bike.

There's a big crack right across the nose fairing that I'd like to get sorted (at the moment it's simply got gaffa tape over it!). I'm imaging a 'new' one from a breaker would be too costly, but I haven't looked. Has anyone ever tried a fairing repair? Was it successful?

Yes, very successfully through Denis's Motorcycle Resprays in Cirencester. He will quote for a repair from pics. Expect to pay up to £100 per panel....may be less if it is minor damage.

Linford

The RHS fairing lower has been repaired and repainted by Dennis in Cirencester. Pieces were missing from it which he sorted with plastic welding, and it was badly scuffed after I lowsided it on the track @ about 50. Frameslider took most of it though

76524_468918233678_2910148_n.jpg

Top Bottom