First (motor) bike ride of the year.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ridingsafely.

i have just read the above site and found it interesting and thought i would share it.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My wife and I both ride bikes, MrsP rides hers a lot more than I ride mine, the occaisonal commute in all weathers, me I'm strictly fair weather rider me.

Current bike is a 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050, MrsP rides a Kawasaki Er6. We've done tours to France, Italy, Yorkshire etc, all great fun, thought in the last couple of years cycling has taken priority of the motor biking.

They are both currently wrapped warm in the garage, locked up and on a tricke charger.

I passed my test, pretty much like brandane did in 1975. All you had to do was ride round the block four time each way, do hand signals and not fall off.

Bike History

Suzuki GT125
Yamaha XS850 (POS)
Honda FT500
Yamaha 185 trials thing can't remember the model.
Then a gap for about 15 years before
Honday Pan European ST 1100 (scared me pooless)
BMW CS650 (great fun)
Kawasaki Z750s
Triumph Tiger 1050 (love this bike)

If you are thinking of getting a bike, they're are great, but don't forget, the only thing you should be thinking about when riding a motorbike is, riding the motorbike.

Linford

My wife and I both ride bikes, MrsP rides hers a lot more than I ride mine, the occaisonal commute in all weathers, me I'm strictly fair weather rider me.

Current bike is a 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050, MrsP rides a Kawasaki Er6. We've done tours to France, Italy, Yorkshire etc, all great fun, thought in the last couple of years cycling has taken priority of the motor biking.

They are both currently wrapped warm in the garage, locked up and on a tricke charger.

I passed my test, pretty much like brandane did in 1975. All you had to do was ride round the block four time each way, do hand signals and not fall off.

Bike History

Suzuki GT125
Yamaha XS850 (POS)
Honda FT500
Yamaha 185 trials thing can't remember the model.
BMW CS650 (great fun)
Kawasaki Z750s
Triumph Tiger 1050 (love this bike)

If you are thinking of getting a bike, they're are great, but don't forget, the only thing you should be thinking about when riding a motorbike is, riding the motorbike.

My first 'big' bike after a FS1E (well not my exact bike, but identical to it which I got in 82)

Suzuki75GT185.jpg

yello

After my gap, I realised that the times, they had a-changed. I didn't want to soil the seat of a modern machine (no cliché story of born-again and their R1 for me). I didn't go the re-test route but I did get back on 125 (a Cagiva) for a year before getting a Suzuki SV650 and then, 18 months later, a Yam BT-1100 (Bulldog). After maybe a couple of years on that, I got a Thundercat. I liked it so much that I bought another after the first one was stolen.

My first bike was a GT-185, a blue one, and I loved it. I'd quite happily strip it, clean it and put it back together again. A great learning experience in many ways. Then onto more Suzukis - a GS400, GS550 and then a Katana 750.

Lance Jack

Über Member
Yello, a Katana 750 ! Very nice, I am a bit envious.

I started on a Yamaha DT50MX, then onto a Honda CB125, A Kawasaki GPz 305, a Kawasaki GPZ 500 and then a mortgage. After a few years managed to start again with my dads Yamaha T80 Townmate and then a couple of scooters, a Yamaha 125 Majesty and then a Honda @125. The plan was, as funds increased, to get bigger bikes, then a elderly lady turning left out of a T-junction wrote my bike off. Not through a lack of confidence but the insurance money got soaked up into other things.

yello

Yello, a Katana 750 ! Very nice, I am a bit envious.

It was a head turner, that's for real. I sold it to come to the UK (from NZ). I used to see one in London periodically, parked at UCL on Gower Street(?), and it'd always make me feel nostalgic.

Linford

It was a head turner, that's for real. I sold it to come to the UK (from NZ). I used to see one in London periodically, parked at UCL on Gower Street(?), and it'd always make me feel nostalgic.
My mate has got one and done some trick stuff to it... single sided swingarm off a trumpet and a few other bits. I'm supposed to be up his place next weekend, i'll try and get a pic

I'm picking up a new battery for mine (ZX636R) in a bit from a local to me Ebay power seller (which is very handy), The old one isn't holding enough charge now to spin itover. The winter layup killed it :sad:

My 125 Varadero seems to have given in to that fate having been stored out in the garden (and used occasionally) that with a couple of other issues with it, including needing to get to potential jobs via motorways which it won't take to daily so hoping to swap it this week for either a kawasaki ZZR 600 or a Honda Deauville 650 which will then need restrictors fitting.

Maybe not the whole lot. The problem is that returning bikers despite their maturity have a bad habit of overestimating their skills and killing themselves. Training is really what I had in mind although I found re-taking my test was a very useful way of doing it.
Most bike training places will happily do a couple of hours training with people who've had a break from biking, some even have it already bundled as a package and price plan.

yello

I think I benefited immensely from further training (often referred to as advanced training). I went through IAM plus a number independent courses and RoSPA. I even did some short-lived courses; one a BTech at Bedford College and another called (I think) 'The Edge'. The instructors are often class 1 police riders, either current or ex - and those guys can ride! It's not about being faster but safer. I'd recommend such training it to anyone.

yello

Rapid was one of the groups I rode with. Their tracks days too are excellent... and safer than other companies too. I reckon it's because the majority of their clients are like-minded and not knee-down obsessed nobbers!

Proto

Legendary Member
Forgot to add that I've done a few track days with them too. Much better than the like of No Limits or Focussed Events. No pseudo racer wannabees in attendance, but still fast and fun, very well organised, but more importantly, safe!

One of their instructors, a serving police officer, was a former winner of the Manx GP. Er, .......... he was quite fast!!

PS just seen your post Yello. Rapid are brilliant.

Top Bottom