First MTB since being a kid - so excited!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
My bike arrived today. Nothing expensive but it's shiny and I'm super excited. I've been commuting for years and I can't remember the last time I went out for FUN.

Obviously I've got some kit and clothing from my road bike but I'm just wondering what bits of MTB specific kit people would advise? Currently using SPD clips and shoes on my road bike - do lots of you guys use these on MTBs as well?

Clothing wise - I see less people on mountain bikes in lycra - is there a reason for this? Just convention?

Cubist

Still wavin'
SPDs are great, loads use them and if you're used to them you'd miss them. It tends to hone your clipping in and out speed ^_^

As for lycra, well, I wear bibs under baggy shorts, and tend to favour windproof shell jackets this time of year. It's great to have pockets for phone wallet and keys without breaking any rules.

A riding pack is also essential if you want to ride all day. Frame mounted bottles either fall out or get covered in cowshite or bits of dead fox, and you'll need more spares to be self sufficient... extra tubes, chainsplitter, spare clothes if you need to stop for any length of time....

Have fun!

I go for flats personally,so if I get in to a spot of bother at speed, I don't have a bike attached to me.It did happen.
Prat in a Range Rover forced me to take evasive action on a farm road on my way to the trails,and I went into a pot hole.
OTB'd and could not attach myself quick enough.
All that said,you get more power through the pedals with Spuds.
The clothing issue is you don't need to be sleek to hit trails,just comfortable.
Incidently,what bike did you get ?

ScotiaLass

Guru
I use flats.
I also wear lycra shorts on my MTB but do have baggies which I use sometimes.
A light hydration backpack carries all I need and a small seat pack houses most of my tools.
Wear what's comfortable for you :smile:

bikeman66

My bike arrived today. Nothing expensive but it's shiny and I'm super excited. I've been commuting for years and I can't remember the last time I went out for FUN.

Obviously I've got some kit and clothing from my road bike but I'm just wondering what bits of MTB specific kit people would advise? Currently using SPD clips and shoes on my road bike - do lots of you guys use these on MTBs as well?

Clothing wise - I see less people on mountain bikes in lycra - is there a reason for this? Just convention?
Exciting times ehh bud?

I guess I'm a bit old school and still tend to go with lycra when I hit the trails, but in all honesty, just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. you'll see people in all sorts of gear when you're out and none of it will be out of place.

Personally, I don't think I could go back to flatties. I've been riding clipless on the road and on the trail for 20 years now and it just feels odd cycling in trainers. I have the same pedals on both my MTB's and my road bike, which seems to work OK. I use Time ATAC pedals, mainly because they're very reliable, need minimal maintenance, got a good amount of sideways float (which is good for my slightly dodgy knee), easy to clip in and out of, and they don't get clogged up with mud easily. Pure roadies might have a fit seeing MTB pedals on a road bike, but in all honesty they're not ridiculously heavy and it means I don't need two fairly expensive pairs of shoes (another bonus is the MTB shoes are easy to walk in when not on the bike.

I use a Camelbak when I'm out riding the trails. It's the Camelbak Lobo (not sure if they still make that model) which has a 2 litre reservoir, ample space for all the tools you'll ever need trailside, bungee cord for holding a lightweight waterproof and a couple of external mesh pockets for extra gear and a mini pump. Think it was about £45.00 when I got it (a few years ago now) but worth every penny.

Enjoy those trails matey, and be sure to let us know how you get on!

Top Bottom