First p*****re in as long as I can remember

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Well this just goes to show that you should keep your mouth shut about your pu****re luck, Ive not one in the 3 years I've been riding my hardtail and neither did I have one on my two previous bikes, also cross country bikes although mainly used on road. Thats a decade of cycling without one which I mentioned to a friend the other day......F*%k my luck if I didn't get one at the end of a 40 miler yesterday, the smallest of thorns. Gonna have to get used to them again as I've got a Whyte montpellier comming soon with 25mm tyres which I'm sure will put me at the roadside from time to time.....

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Sod's law!! Similar happened to me last year, I hadn't had a puncture in about 10 years and got 5 in the next 3 or 4 months, 2 in one journey. I have now fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres as the bloke in the bike shop down the road swears by them. It will make me a bit slower, but if it means fewer punctures that's a fair trade off for me.

Kookas

Über Member
Well this just goes to show that you should keep your mouth shut about your pu****re luck, Ive not one in the 3 years I've been riding my hardtail and neither did I have one on my two previous bikes, also cross country bikes although mainly used on road. Thats a decade of cycling without one which I mentioned to a friend the other day......F*%k my luck if I didn't get one at the end of a 40 miler yesterday, the smallest of thorns. Gonna have to get used to them again as I've got a Whyte montpellier comming soon with 25mm tyres which I'm sure will put me at the roadside from time to time.....

Actually, doesn't a smaller contact patch mean a lower risk of a puncture? Since your path is less likely to coincide with a thorn or some such thing on account of covering less area.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Get yourself some Fenwick's no-tube sealer which works just as good in normal inner tubes. I've been using in my cross/winter bike for a couple of years with good results. It won't stop the puncture but seals the hole giving you a chance to continue riding and fix when you get home.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Are there any drawbacks to using the slime approach, I get the idea that it is a messy operation but thats probably just down to the word slime, is it simple to use?

Top Bottom