First post - first ride = painful!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was always told that you should just be able to touch the balls of both feet on the floor either side, but this was nearly 30 years ago when I did cycling proficiency at school so it'ws probably best tolisten to some of the other lore being espoused on here :blush::biggrin: . SUfficeient to say as other have that if you can get both feet flat the saddle's waaaay too low.
Pain above the knees, hmm. If it isn't sharp, needle-like stabbing pain but a more achey sort of sensation, then I am afraid you are finding one of life's great truths, one which I and I'd imagine a great many member son here have as well. Namely, that if you don't cycle for a long time then decide you're going to start riding a distane each day (however far it may be) you'll suddenly find you aren;t as fit as you thought you were :eek: ;) .
Please keep it up, it will get easier and you'll feel loads better for it :wacko: .
Oh, question for the other members, since when did saddle stem become outdated terminology? Seatpost sounds too BMX for me! :tongue: :biggrin:

RedBike

I was always told that you should just be able to touch the balls of both feet on the floor either side, but this was nearly 30 years ago when I did cycling proficiency at school so it'ws probably best tolisten to some of the other lore being espoused on here :tongue::biggrin: . SUfficeient to say as other have that if you can get both feet flat the saddle's waaaay too low.

It all depends on the type of bike you're riding. On a road bike I can touch the floor with the balls of my feet while sat on the saddle. However, on my MTB my feet are left waving in mid air. Both bikes are set up correctly.

purplepolly

bobbedazzler said:
Well, I love the cycling (been using a closed industrial estate to just get used to being on a bike again) so I attempted a 5 mile bike ride......... and OMG my legs were killing!!! I nearly had to stop and walk the last mile home.

I sooo want to cycle to work but the pain was a real killer - and 5 miles isn't that far ..... when I'm driving to and from work I see people riding along looking like they don't have a care in the world .. whereas I thought my legs were about to drop off!!

Don't worry, you'll soon get used to that kind of distance with a bit of practice (and a saddle at the right height). Each time you go out it'll get a bit easier.

5 miles is a nice distance for commuting, just far enough to get a bit of regular exercise and wake up in the mornings. And once you're used to that, there's always detours you can take to make it longer when the weather's good. :tongue:

The idea of being able to put the balls of your feet on the ground while seated on the saddle is OK for children. For adults it must be the leg being straight when the heel is on the pedal at the lowest point of its travel. Mountain bikes have a high bottom bracket (the bit the pedals are attached to) because of extra clearance when off-road, so it means that if you have the seat high enough to have a straight leg with the heel on the pedal there is no way that you will get your feet on he floor when seated. When you stop, you'll have to slide forward off the seat just before you roll to a halt.

If you want to commute, get a bike suitable for the purpose (a Hybrid, or similar), not a MTB, and do get it properly sized at a reputable shop.

lukesdad

you could go to your local bike shop (lbs on the forum) take your bike and ask their advice they re usually pretty helpfull post athread on the forum for a good one in your area someone on here is bound to knoe one

simon_brooke

bobbedazzler said:
Wow thanks for your speedy replies and warm welcome everyone, really appreciate it.

Just wondering, if the seat is too low could I (just for the time being whilst I'm 'practicing') get a longer saddle stem or is the possibility that the bike is too small quite a big issue on its own?

A longer seatpost is possible but I wouldn't particularly recommend it. The bike is too small.

I'm only asking because before I borrowed this bike, I borrowed my brothers which I can sit on and touch the floor with my tip toes .... but I felt like it was really big and that I wouldn't be able to control it properly so opted for the smaller option.

I have quite small feet (size 7, I'm 6'2"); I can't touch the ground with both feet at the same time on any of my bikes. This really isn't a problem. For maximum efficiency you need your leg to very nearly (but not quite!) straighten at the bottom of the pedalling motion.

Borrow your brother's bike - it sounds about right for you - and go out onto your quiet industrial estate and practice mounting and dismounting until you are entirely comfortable with it. At first it will feel precarious but this will quickly pass.

on the road said:
You mean seatpost (sometimes called seatpin). I'm not sure if you can get a longer seatpost, I think they only come in one size.

They come in a very great range of lengths - also diameters (you need to get the right diameter!)

Top Bottom