First Post Surgery Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzybuddha

Almost 3 weeks ago I had Catheter Ablation surgery on my heart to try and fix my Atrial Fibrillation. I was told I am able to get back on my bike! When asked if I was one of those 100 miles/week people I said yes, as I averaged just shy of that at 90/week. Was told, for obvious reason, not to do that, but 50-60 should be ok. I am really excited. I miss riding. I am nervous about over doing it. It is easy to say I will go easy, but it is a different thing entirely when on a ride, to realize you have done too much. At least for me. However, I will try. Very excited. Ride safe everyone!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Almost 3 weeks ago I had Catheter Ablation surgery on my heart to try and fix my Atrial Fibrillation. I was told I am able to get back on my bike! When asked if I was one of those 100 miles/week people I said yes, as I averaged just shy of that at 90/week. Was told, for obvious reason, not to do that, but 50-60 should be ok. I am really excited. I miss riding. I am nervous about over doing it. It is easy to say I will go easy, but it is a different thing entirely when on a ride, to realize you have done too much. At least for me. However, I will try. Very excited. Ride safe everyone!
All the best. Take it easy and build back up gradually.

D

Deleted member 1258

All the best. Take it easy and build back up gradually.
Just make sure someone knows the route you’re planning to take and start small, ie don’t do 50 miles but 5 and see

Both these, short and steady to start, then slowly build it up and make sure someone knows where you're going and what time to expect you back, and most importantly, enjoy.

OP
OP
fuzzybuddha

fuzzybuddha

Both these, short and steady to start, then slowly build it up and make sure someone knows where you're going and what time to expect you back, and most importantly, enjoy.
I have Strava that I use the “spotlight” on my rides. It shows where I am at all times. Well at least where my phone is. 😁😜

Johnno260

Veteran
I have the strava tracking in case of an accident but always inform the other half of my route in case of any mishaps.

Take it easy and build up, don’t dive in and cause yourself any harm.

postman

Legendary Member
Good on you.:bravo:

DaveM77

I had the same operation 3 years ago. The year after I ran the London marathon and 2 half’s.
Before that if I did any intense exercise my heart rate would go through the roof for a couple of minutes before returning to normal.
cant believe I lived with it for 30 years before getting it fixed. Got a whole new lease of life

OP
OP
fuzzybuddha

fuzzybuddha

I had the same operation 3 years ago. The year after I ran the London marathon and 2 half’s.
Before that if I did any intense exercise my heart rate would go through the roof for a couple of minutes before returning to normal.
cant believe I lived with it for 30 years before getting it fixed. Got a whole new lease of life
Yeah I hear you, I have had AFib since I was about 10-12. Could never catch it on ekg’s. Then about 3 years ago I was able to. Then a long process began with tests and meds and everything. This year I had no choice, I was at the limit of the medicine. The side effects were less than great. So I opted for the ablation. I am encouraged that I feel really good. Add to that, that you ran a bloody marathon, gives me confidence that I can get back to where I was and continue to improve.

DaveM77

Same age as mine started. Just put up with it until it was getting too bad to ignore doing Hiit sessions at the gym. Just build up slowly and you’ll be amazed at what you can do from now on 👍🏻

I had a major op last year. Got told repeatedly by nurses it'd be 6-8weeks before I could even think of getting back on a bike. I saw the doc after 5weeks though and he told me I should have already been back on the bike to give me an idea of what Id get back too post chemo. He didn't need to tell me twice 😂 I've still not got back to that level though; I have built on it ever since 😀

Top Bottom