First proper bike I ever had.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goofball

This is going back to about 1973 or a bit later.

I have a hazy memory of it and it was my first proper bike, it was a TT10, red and smaller wheels than you would get now.
Hard rubber maybe, so no tubes.

Can't find it with google.

Must ask my mum if there's any pictures of me on it in the old albums.

Anyone else remember there first proper bike and have pictures.

Slick

Guru
No pictures, but I do have a memory of my dad reversing his Hillman Avenger over my much loved but far too small unnamed bike. The replacement was something called a Gnat 18, but like you can't find it on Google. Still got great memories of my mum pushing the boat out and getting my brother and I our first brand new road bike which wad a silver Raleigh O'Brien. Thanks mum. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Goofball

Goofball

Mine went to the neighbors kid, who just left it all over the place till it was nicked.
Found it in the next estate, in someones garden painted in a cheep looking paint.

I was not happy about the way he look after it.

My first 'proper' bike I seem to recall was a Sun racer. It might have been a Solo I'm not sure, but I remember it was a 5 speed because when I outgrew it it was replaced by exactly the same bike but the 10 speed version.

It looked very much like this. I can't remember the colour but it wasn't this I can remember that.

Sun Solo.JPG

Once I'd outgrown kiddy bikes, (had a Raleigh Chipper at one time), and I was old enough to venture farther afield I was only ever allowed 'proper' bikes, ie: 'racers' I was never allowed to have a BMX, Grifter, Chopper etc.

I hated it at the time as I wanted a BMX, but I could wheelie my racers better than my mates could there bikes anyway :cycle::laugh:

13 rider

Guru
I probally have picture somewhere need a bit of digging . But first proper bike Raleigh Olympus for Xmas around 1978/79 bought with lots of coop stamps .Five speed Racer loved it .stupidly gave it my brother-in-law when I got my first car

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Other than a couple of 'cobbled together from old frames' bikes I've still got my 1st 'real' bike,

DSCN0110.JPG

Although technically it still belongs to my cousin but I've been borrowing it since 1976 and have had permanent custody of it since 1980. It was run over by a lorry in about 88 (just missed running me over too, I have vivid memories of lots of wheelnuts just missing my bonce) when it was rebuilt with 105 transmission and hand-laced wheels, new forks and the seatstays re-brazed.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Don't have any pictures of it in my ownership, but having learned to ride on a old small wheeled girl's bike my aunt also learned to ride on, my first proper bike was a Dawes Dapper.Like this https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjE0WDEwMjQ=/z/dZMAAOSwcL5XONxN/$_86.JPG but in blue.
For about 8 years it took all sorts of abuse including us crashing at speed into a parked car and carrying large bags of sawdust hanging from the handlebars for my Dad, who for many years bred hamsters. And we had miles of fun. ^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

A blue single speed Hercules when I outgrew my first bike. I'd be about seven or eight. When I went to secondary school I got a red and white three speed.

Mrs M

Guru
IMG_1354.PNG
My first bike was a Halfords Cascade, ladies racer.
Used to polish her after every ride, my pride and joy, sister had one the same too.
Pic is a good example I found on eBay, original had white bar tape though. This one has original mudguards although the rear is not full size and the reflector is missing.
Had many adventures with a packed lunch on the rack, ready to roll :smile: (around 1980)

Levo-Lon

Guru
Other than a couple of 'cobbled together from old frames' bikes I've still got my 1st 'real' bike,

View attachment 371578

Although technically it still belongs to my cousin but I've been borrowing it since 1976 and have had permanent custody of it since 1980. It was run over by a lorry in about 88 (just missed running me over too, I have vivid memories of lots of wheelnuts just missing my bonce) when it was rebuilt with 105 transmission and hand-laced wheels, new forks and the seatstays re-brazed.

8foot cyclist!!!!

johnnyb47

Guru
My first proper bike was a 5 speed Raleigh Arena..
It was a Christmas present way back in 79/80.
Christmas eve my dad picked the bike up from the local bike shop ,but when he got it back home to our local village he decided to pop into the local for a Christmas drink. Many hours later he got home minus the bike. Being half cut with one two many beers inside him he forgot about my bike and left it in the pub. With a gentle persuasion from mum (and a rolling pin) he went back to the pub in the early hours to get it back. Once home it was a traditional for xmas presents to be found at the bottom of my bed ,and my well inebriated dad insisted on carrying the bike up stairs. That's all I can remember was hearing a loud crash as he fell down the stairs with my bike. I,ll never forget the sight of seeing sprawled out at the bottom of the stairs with my xmas bike on top of him. He just looked at me and said happy Xmas Son. I think that's when I realized father xmas was not exactly what I thought he was :=))

13 rider

Guru
My first proper bike was a 5 speed Raleigh Arena..
It was a Christmas present way back in 79/80.
Christmas eve my dad picked the bike up from the local bike shop ,but when he got it back home to our local village he decided to pop into the local for a Christmas drink. Many hours later he got home minus the bike. Being half cut with one two many beers inside him he forgot about my bike and left it in the pub. With a gentle persuasion from mum (and a rolling pin) he went back to the pub in the early hours to get it back. Once home it was a traditional for xmas presents to be found at the bottom of my bed ,and my well inebriated dad insisted on carrying the bike up stairs. That's all I can remember was hearing a loud crash as he fell down the stairs with my bike. I,ll never forget the sight of seeing sprawled out at the bottom of the stairs with my xmas bike on top of him. He just looked at me and said happy Xmas Son. I think that's when I realized father xmas was not exactly what I thought he was :=))
I wanted an arena but dad bought the Olympus which had full mudguards did save a few wet bums over the year

johnnyb47

Guru
Where the Olympus painted in a very light blue colour , if memory serves me. I only ask because I'm sure my friend had one .

Top Bottom