First Race/Ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

Yesterday I attended the Reliability Ride in Edlesborough (Beds) with my mate.
I've only been back into cycling since September 07 when I bought my Felt F75.
I missed out a fair bit during the winter months through being a bit of a fair weather rider.
However, at the end of Jan this year I bought a turbo trainer and have used it numerous times (including when the weather has been rotten outside). I found my fitness improving.
Yesterday was very windy and I went out with the medium paced group.
I covered only the shorter 40 miles (actually it was 42.38 miles) route instead of the 62 miles route as I was restricted to time (Chap was coming round to buy the Felt).

I'd never ridden in a group before but I soon picked up on the skills that regular group riders use...such as hand signals for parked cars, pot holes etc.
The momentum was good too....you really do get sucked along (pardon the expression) :ohmy: and I found myself sitting in the group comfortably.
A small group dropped off after 20 miles, then another group after 30 miles.
I still felt really good......and when we got to 'Tom's Hill' with 4 miles to go, I went in front and reach the top first....I was stunned to say the least in my ability to climb the hill in what must have been my best ever time.
Anyway...when the 62 mile riders took their turning off I was all on my own and breifly stopped as I was stumped by the direction arrow at a roundabout. I stopped for about a minute and a half when I turned to see my mate coming down the hill....so I got back on track and we crossed the line together (First home). 42.38 miles in 2h 16 mins. I was very impressed and I predicted 40 miles in 2h 30 mins. My average was 18.9mph.
Not that great to many of the guys on here...but I think I've certainly come a long way since September last year.
Most importantly I was impressed with how it went and I really enjoyed myself and hopefully I can build on this.
Two cups of tea and a Jan Ullrich muffin when we got back to the village Hall. :wacko:
I think joining a club will definately help me train better and more effectively .

Thanks for reading ;)
Steve

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Good stuff Steven. I don't know about the rest on here but I'd be well happy with an average speed like that!

Zoom

Über Member
I am not worthy; I can't even get much faster than that on a TT

well done Rich :tongue:

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Thanks guys :tongue:
I have looked at a couple of Cycling clubs in my area and they kind of rides they do. One stands out in particular so I might well join them. :biggrin:
Just treated myself to a new bike too....well...ordered it at least.:biggrin:

Top Bottom