First ride with a club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
I'm going to try riding with a local club tomorrow. I have never before ridden with a club so I am trying out their novice ride to Snuff Mills tomorrow. The club is called Stokes Cycling Club. From their website, it doesn't appear that they do TT or races, they are more a touring club. The ride is about 15miles starting at 9.30am and they say at a pace of about 10mph.

I have prepped mine and Mr Archeresses bikes, fitting a bracet for his new lock to the frame, moving a bracket for a cycle pump from my MTB to my road bike, pumping up tires and checking bikes over. I also fitted a small saddle pack to my road bike into which I have put a multi tool, small box spanner, tire levers, 1 off 700C inner tube and a puncture repair kit. There is a little space in there still. Tomorrow I will carry my phone and keys, a small amount of money (for the coffee stop) and I have a lightweight cycling jacket which I will carry in one of the rear pockets of my cycle top.

I wont wear the cycle chat top tomorrow as I don't want to look too much of a nobber, just one of my cheap Muddy Fox tops from Sports Direct.

I am really badly suffering from depression at the moment and am signed off from work. I am hoping this will give me something to get up for.

Anyone have any advice for the ride tomorrow? Anything I have forgotten?

Hugs
Archeress x

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Keep us updated and enjoy :smile:

yello

It won't be half as daunting as you fear. Sounds like you're prep'ed and ready to go. I've just looked at their website and it looks like a well run, decent club. People like you and me that just happen to ride bikes. My only advice is to enjoy it. :smile:

fabregas485

If you have not been in a group before, I suggest hanging back for a bit, and watch what others do. That way to can get to grips with the do and don't.

Enjoy the ride, I know I like riding in groups.

surfdude

Veteran
don't fall off is my only advice . have a good ride and hope you meet some nice people .
the wife's got mild depression and i am trying to get her out .

Lullabelle

Banana
I'm going to try riding with a local club tomorrow. I have never before ridden with a club so I am trying out their novice ride to Snuff Mills tomorrow. The club is called Stokes Cycling Club. From their website, it doesn't appear that they do TT or races, they are more a touring club. The ride is about 15miles starting at 9.30am and they say at a pace of about 10mph.

I have prepped mine and Mr Archeresses bikes, fitting a bracet for his new lock to the frame, moving a bracket for a cycle pump from my MTB to my road bike, pumping up tires and checking bikes over. I also fitted a small saddle pack to my road bike into which I have put a multi tool, small box spanner, tire levers, 1 off 700C inner tube and a puncture repair kit. There is a little space in there still. Tomorrow I will carry my phone and keys, a small amount of money (for the coffee stop) and I have a lightweight cycling jacket which I will carry in one of the rear pockets of my cycle top.

I wont wear the cycle chat top tomorrow as I don't want to look too much of a nobber, just one of my cheap Muddy Fox tops from Sports Direct.

I am really badly suffering from depression at the moment and am signed off from work. I am hoping this will give me something to get up for.

Anyone have any advice for the ride tomorrow? Anything I have forgotten?

Hugs
Archeress x

Depression can be helped with exercise, you obviously enjoy cycling. You have made the right decision to go, try to relax and enjoy, no one will bite you. Been there myself, it isn't easy but there is a way out, slowly but surely, good luck xx

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Why would wearing a Cycle Chat top on the ride make you look a nobber?

Yes shout it from the rooftops. They may just have a look and join.

OP
OP
Archeress

Archeress

Veteran
Why would wearing a Cycle Chat top on the ride make you look a nobber?
I wouldn't have thought anyone in that group will really care what you wear, and if they do then it's a wrong club to ride with.
I suspect Arcehress mightn't want to stand out too much on the first ride. She can always wear it next week.

Sorry about that comment... I think I meant that I didn't want to look over the top. At the moment I'm struggling to get anything done so going with any branded top might make me look daft if I struggle on the ride.

Hugs
Archeress x

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Have a great tiome A.
I've always wanted to try joining the group that meets every Saturday in our village but I've been nervous about approaching them as they know each other so well, so it's good that you've gone and been and done it Archeress, please come back and tell us how you get on!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Have a great tiome A.
I've always wanted to try joining the group that meets every Saturday in our village but I've been nervous about approaching them as they know each other so well, so it's good that you've gone and been and done it Archeress, please come back and tell us how you get on!
At some point in time,none of those people knew each other either. The only way to put names to faces is to turn up, otherwise you're always going to be the outsider wondering what you're missing.

kipster

Guru
I did my first club run today, it was a similar sounding club to Stokes (Oakley Pedalers). Everyone was friendly and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit nervous about joining an established group and being a bit of an outsider. I shouldn't have worried, I knew two of them, one who works at the same company. Wish I had done it weeks ago. When I dropped off the back they slowed, one guy dropped back and encouraged me along.

Top Bottom