First ride with a club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"There is a little space in there still." Big enough for a Snickers bar? Nothing like it to give you a boost. Plus yummy.

Other than that, have fun. There'll be one and a half guys who take themselves a bit seriously. Ignore them. Everyone else will be nice, though some might not be the most immediately chummy. Cycling often appeals to people who are on the shy side of gregarious. Doesn't mean they're not nice...just might take a bit of time. Go at your own pace; take three deep breaths if at any time you feel a bit anxious; look around and enjoy the scenery. Smile.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
At some point in time,none of those people knew each other either. The only way to put names to faces is to turn up, otherwise you're always going to be the outsider wondering what you're missing.
I know TMHNET, but it comes down to confidence... I'll maybe wander down and have a chat with them where they meet before asking if I can join up for part of the way another week.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Sorry about that comment... I think I meant that I didn't want to look over the top. At the moment I'm struggling to get anything done so going with any branded top might make me look daft if I struggle on the ride.

Hugs
Archeress x
Fingers crossed you have a great time. It's always hard being the new person in a group where everyone else knows everyone.

OP
OP
Archeress

Archeress

Veteran
Well, I've been and done it. Bit under 15miles. There were 8 of us, 3 of us brand new to the club (myself and Mr Archeress being 2 of the newbies). There were 2 recently new club members and then 3 experienced members. A lot of the club had ridden last nights Exmouth Exodus so were not on the ride.

The club members that were there were very nice and welcoming.

We actually rode at a slowish pace for one of the newish club members who struggled throughout on an Apollo mountain bike. The route went a bit off roadish at times which made me worry for my road tyres. The Snuff Mills area was very beautiful.

I also used Strava for the first time to record the ride. I would have probably ridden faster on my own.

http://www.strava.com/activities/75564444

Hugs
Archerss x

ps. the one other on the ride was one of the club members not Mr Archeress!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Well, I've been and done it. Bit under 15miles. There were 8 of us, 3 of us brand new to the club (myself and Mr Archeress being 2 of the newbies). There were 2 recently new club members and then 3 experienced members. A lot of the club had ridden last nights Exmouth Exodus so were not on the ride.

The club members that were there were very nice and welcoming.

We actually rode at a slowish pace for one of the newish club members who struggled throughout on an Apollo mountain bike. The route went a bit off roadish at times which made me worry for my road tyres. The Snuff Mills area was very beautiful.

I also used Strava for the first time to record the ride. I would have probably ridden faster on my own.

http://www.strava.com/activities/75564444

Hugs
Archerss x

ps. the one other on the ride was one of the club members not Mr Archeress!

So you are going again ?

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Yes, I think I will, although next week it's a medium ride of 30miles so I hope I can manage that. Unfortunately the good feeling from the ride is already diminishing thanks to the depression.

Hugs
Archeress x

Make sure you try to get out for even a little while tomorrow, this will spark the memory of today and fingers crossed the anticipation of next week.:hugs:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Well done - I bumped into a member from the club I ride with (Ravensthorpe CC) on a climb and we got chatting. Eventually I joined and it's been well worthwhile.

My original thoughts about being too slow / not keeping up were completely unfounded. However, I'm also aware many others think this before they join a club.

P.H

Über Member
Other than that, have fun. There'll be one and a half guys who take themselves a bit seriously. Ignore them. Everyone else will be nice, though some might not be the most immediately chummy. Cycling often appeals to people who are on the shy side of gregarious. Doesn't mean they're not nice...just might take a bit of time.
I think this advise is spot on and it's not just cycling clubs, any group takes a while to accept newcomers. I think it's best to go a few times then make your mind up.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Well done - I bumped into a member from the club I ride with (Ravensthorpe CC) on a climb and we got chatting. Eventually I joined and it's been well worthwhile.

My original thoughts about being too slow / not keeping up were completely unfounded. However, I'm also aware many others think this before they join a club.

You thought you might be too slow ? this is from the person who just disappeared into the distance in the Otley Sportive and then finished before I had even got half way round :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You thought you might be too slow ? this is from the person who just disappeared into the distance in the Otley Sportive and then finished before I had even got half way round :laugh:

Believe it or not - yes!

Once I'd had a couple of rides with them I realised that this was definately a misconception.

Top Bottom