1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First ride with disability.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ORrecumbent1, 6 Dec 2017.

1. RealLeeHimself

RealLeeHimself There can be only one t’ousand!

Fruit, vegetables and white meat for protein. Tinned salmon is good also as it contains high levels of protein and complex carbohydrates which your body needs. Another poster on this forum suggested slow release carbohydrates too which I am currently looking into. Simple carbohydrates while producing some energy will also increase your weight if you’re not careful so you have to monitor your intake of these. Limit products with added sugar - for the same reason as simple carbohydrates.

There’s lots of advice out there on diet. Just eat healthily.

ORrecumbent1 and xzenonuk like this.
  2. xzenonuk

xzenonuk Senior Member

food wise i would go with a tin of salmon or a tin of sardines or mackerel, i find one of them plenty of fuel but i have gout and the last thing i should eat is oily fish, but i keep eating them lol

ORrecumbent1 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    ORrecumbent1

ORrecumbent1 Active Member

Well, salmon and other fish are definitely abundant here in Oregon. I actually like salmon and cod. I will work more on the fruits and veggies. Thanks for the tips and response.

xzenonuk and RealLeeHimself like this.
  4. Spinney

Spinney Work-avoider & tea drinker ! Staff Member

Congrats on getting out and about!
    There's a whole forum here on Training, Fitness and Health:
    https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/training-fitness-and-health.36/

You could start a thread there asking for food recommendations, or browse the threads. Nothing wrong with the advice you've been given here, but you might get more responses from people particularly interested in nutrition.

Recommended diet could be different if you are trying to build a bit of muscle or just want to know the best fuel for longer rides, when you've built up to that.

xzenonuk likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    ORrecumbent1

Thanks, this is a good thought! I'll check out the link and appreciate the response. TW

xzenonuk likes this.
  6. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Staff Member

Well done on that first ride. Keep up the good work.

Interesting looking machines you have there.:okay:

ORrecumbent1 likes this.
  7. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Congrats on getting your first ride , what ever the distance a ride is a ride in my book

so keep at it

Rickshaw Phil and ORrecumbent1 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    ORrecumbent1

I purchased a Garmin 20 bike computer to help me be more accurate with the miles and such. I think I'm going to make up a journal to keep track of my progress.

xzenonuk likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    ORrecumbent1

Second ride. Today I did just a tad over a mile down to the country store and back. When I got to the house I had to lean up against it to keep from falling over. Legs were pretty wobbly and I had it on a pretty easy gear. Will rest and not ride tomorrow. Beautiful day here in the Willamette Valley!

qDnipoW.jpg

10. arch684

arch684 Über Member

Your rest/recovery is just as important as your ride's take it one day at a time for now

ORrecumbent1 likes this.
  11. Doubling your distance on your second ride? Well done.

As others say, be careful to recover. And take good advantage of having a destination 1/2 a (flat?) mile away. It might work to visit it every day for a little while, before increasing your distance. Note: This is a "thought", not informed by medical or training knowledge.

And keeping speaking on uninformed, may I venture a little levity? ...

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 21.56.19.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    ORrecumbent1

Pardon my ignorance but, I don't understand this statement.:smile:

13. arch684

arch684 Über Member

Your not the only one

14. I was comparing your bike to the chopper from pulp fiction.

It's not per se offensive, but this clip follows a very dark sequence, but both your bikes reminded me of it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ue996GQMC8

or I could just go pure Easy rider

[​IMG]

ORrecumbent1 and arch684 like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    ORrecumbent1

Gotcha! Once upon a time, I rode the Harley's! Before being diagnosed with MS and the subsequent nerve damage, I spent many hours and miles on the back of my Hogs.

xW4XXug.jpg