First ride with disability.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Thanks for the tips! I am mindful not to over do it to much and kept it at .5 miles for starters. I will definitely take time to let the muscles adjust and recover. Will keep posting on my progress as I prepare for the summer. Any tips on foods for fuel?

Fruit, vegetables and white meat for protein. Tinned salmon is good also as it contains high levels of protein and complex carbohydrates which your body needs. Another poster on this forum suggested slow release carbohydrates too which I am currently looking into. Simple carbohydrates while producing some energy will also increase your weight if you’re not careful so you have to monitor your intake of these. Limit products with added sugar - for the same reason as simple carbohydrates.

There’s lots of advice out there on diet. Just eat healthily.

xzenonuk

Veteran
food wise i would go with a tin of salmon or a tin of sardines or mackerel, i find one of them plenty of fuel but i have gout and the last thing i should eat is oily fish, but i keep eating them lol

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Well, salmon and other fish are definitely abundant here in Oregon. I actually like salmon and cod. I will work more on the fruits and veggies. Thanks for the tips and response.
Congrats on getting out and about!
There's a whole forum here on Training, Fitness and Health:
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/training-fitness-and-health.36/

You could start a thread there asking for food recommendations, or browse the threads. Nothing wrong with the advice you've been given here, but you might get more responses from people particularly interested in nutrition.

Recommended diet could be different if you are trying to build a bit of muscle or just want to know the best fuel for longer rides, when you've built up to that.

OP
OP
ORrecumbent1

ORrecumbent1

Second ride. Today I did just a tad over a mile down to the country store and back. When I got to the house I had to lean up against it to keep from falling over. Legs were pretty wobbly and I had it on a pretty easy gear. Will rest and not ride tomorrow. Beautiful day here in the Willamette Valley!

qDnipoW.jpg

Second ride. Today I did just a tad over a mile down to the country store and back. When I got to the house I had to lean up against it to keep from falling over. Legs were pretty wobbly and I had it on a pretty easy gear. Will rest and not ride tomorrow. Beautiful day here in the Willamette Valley!

View attachment 386327
Doubling your distance on your second ride? Well done.

As others say, be careful to recover. And take good advantage of having a destination 1/2 a (flat?) mile away. It might work to visit it every day for a little while, before increasing your distance. Note: This is a "thought", not informed by medical or training knowledge.

And keeping speaking on uninformed, may I venture a little levity? ...

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 21.56.19.jpg

Top Bottom