First Road Bike - £600 budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
@joefife its true buying second hand does present some risks. You will have to search for your size and you won't have any comeback if anything goes wrong plus the ownership issue. I would only suggest you buy if the bike genuinely hasn't had much use and the seller can prove its provenance.
Vintage bikes are mainly steel so won't be as light as the current crop of aluminium framed bikes.
Buying one the Decathlon bikes would give you the most secure hassle free option. The weight referred to in the review means the bike might be only a half a kilo or so heavier than its competitors which are good bit more expensive. You really aren't going to notice it.
The Kubota you linked is a full carbon frame so may be about one or two kilos lighter.

If the OP is genuinely concerned about weight, it's considerably cheaper to lose a kilo or two from the rider than it is the bike...:laugh:

Last edited:

joefife

Regular

Cheers!

I took a wander down to my localish Decathlon store and ended up with https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rr-900-af-road-bike-blue-105-id_8529248.html - over budget, but I'm just not going to mention it to the other half.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I wouldn't have considered going to Decathlon otherwise as I thought they might be a bit crap :-)

Cheers!

I took a wander down to my localish Decathlon store and ended up with https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rr-900-af-road-bike-blue-105-id_8529248.html - over budget, but I'm just not going to mention it to the other half.

That’s a great bike.

I wouldn't have considered going to Decathlon otherwise as I thought they might be a bit crap :-)

A lot of people make that mistake.
The bikes they sell generally punch way above their weight. I’ve got a couple of Decathlon bikes, and I really rate them. The warranty is brilliant too.

vickster

Legendary Member
And the first thing to make sure you do is buy the most secure lock you can. Always put it through the frame and front wheel.
Or better the back wheel and a cable (or 2nd d lock) through the front

Rear wheel plus cassette more to replace than front

And the first thing to make sure you do is buy the most secure lock you can. Always put it through the frame and front wheel.
Always through the rear wheel and stay triangle for me. If I know I’m away from the bike for a while, I’ll sling a cable lock through the front wheel and frame as well. If you put a d lock just around the cross bar, the bike can be used as a lever to break the lock ( depending on frame material obvs) it’s much harder to do if the lock is through the rear wheel and stays.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Always through the rear wheel and stay triangle for me. If I know I’m away from the bike for a while, I’ll sling a cable lock through the front wheel and frame as well. If you put a d lock just around the cross bar, the bike can be used as a lever to break the lock ( depending on frame material obvs) it’s much harder to do if the lock is through the rear wheel and stays.
Yeah, but if your wheels are Quick Robbery, it's much easier to get the front one out from a D-locked bike than the rear. Two locks still better than one. Agree about only locking the top tube being a very bad idea - doing that also usually leaves space for bars or jacks. #ProperLockIt

Top Bottom