First road bike...embarrassing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SirDickieBird

Hopefully not but I'm sure some will look down on it...

Never having ridden a road bike before and not wanting to spend ££££ just yet, opted for 2nd hand and a Carrera Virtuoso (2012) came up at a good price nearby so headed over, picked up and now waiting for a first proper ride... It has Gator Skin tyres on that look in good nick - any opinions on these?

First impressions - much quicker than my slicked-up mtb; only done a 5 miler around the block but beat a couple of Segment times without going for it. Only thing is it's a compact chainset and top gear seems not as high as my other bike so hoping I can get used to this.

Hopefully will look and feel better at a sportive on a Halfords special than on my crusty mtb...

Long run at the weekend...:bicycle:

Okeydokey

Gatorskins are generally considered a good choice of tyre. Can't see what you have to be embarrassed about? Probably that your next bike might come from Halfords I'm guessing.

Doobiesis

Über Member
Gator Skin tyres are def better. I used to get punctures all the time but not since I put those on.

Get the fit right, if you don't want to pay for a fit look online and figure it out. Because 25 miles in you'll struggle if it's not correct. The make of bike is irrelevant as long as it's fitted.

Dawn

MikeG

Guru
Welcome to the forum, SDB. I knew Harold very well in a former life........

I'd just get the adjustment right, lubricate everything, get the tyres pumped up properly, and get some miles done. You're on a bike.......what is there to be embarrassed about?

rugby bloke

Veteran
Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Nothing wrong with a Carrera Virtuoso - I ride the 2015 model and it has served me well for many miles over the last couple of years. Git me around the RideLondon twice so they are up to the job when it comes to Sportives. Plus people won't have any expectations of you so its nice to surprise them !

Enjoy your riding !

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I re-started my affair with cycling on a £20 steel road bike, circa 1990s. It was a little too big and the shifters were terrible, but it really helped me get back into it. So it matters not.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Virtuoso's are fine - they're a good starter bike. I ran one as a winter bike a few years ago and looked like this:

30042010260.jpg

Last edited:

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Embarrassing? Nahhhh ... just get out and enjoy yourself. Have you got over the twitchyness yet? It took me a little while to get used to it after commuting on a big clunky MTB for years, felt like I was going to wobble and fall off when I went slow. ^_^

Top Bottom