First road bike: mech disc brakes vs v-brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
very very off topic on a road bike thread:whistle:
why?
Look at the thread title.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
because you don't get v brakes on road bikes....
and, moreover, if you'd read the thread its was established pretty early the OP meant caliper brakes, not v brakes, and is looking to buy a bike, not 2nd hand brakes...

Chislenko

Veteran
To be honest we had this discussion on another thread recently.

Please see picture of a road bike, drop bars, sti's and full not mini v brakes, which I ran for years with no problems.

vickster

Legendary Member
@pdc97 if you’re on the taller size, 5’6+ Decathlon have the M and L in stock online at least
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/women-s-starter-road-bike/_/R-p-301919

cyclintom

Hello all,

I'm keen to buy my first road bike to do some rides around London (evening and weekend rides for exercise and travel), I've narrowed it down to 2 within my price range:

The Carrera Zelos from Halfords https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road...-bike-2020---white---s-m-l-frames-348606.html

and the Triban starter from Decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/women-s-starter-road-bike/_/R-p-301919

There doesn't seem to be too much in it but I was just wondering whether anyone had any advice or thoughts on which might be better for a beginner?
I've read so many different opinions on mech disc brakes vs v-brakes(?) but I'm still not set either way... mech discs better in rain vs v-brakes lighter and easier to replace(?). As someone who has never maintained a bike before I don't want to go with mech disc brakes if that means having to have expensive replacements down the line that I can't do myself.

However, Halfords appeals as they offer lifetime bike health checks, warranty on the frame and Carrera seem to be a decent brand for a beginner?

Also the double braking system on the Triban looks appealing but the handlebars seem to be quite narrow at the top and I'm thinking when I get more into cycling they may become an annoyance/no room for lights etc?

Any advice at all is much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance :smile:
I will be perfectly frank, the only reason for disk brakes is that carbon rims have awful braking and you don't want to wear out very expensive wheels. They are FAR too powerful and in cases of an emergency - a car pulling out of a driveway or some such, you inevitably pull them on too hard and there is a very good chance of going over the bars. I was going down a steep hill off=road and coming up in the other direction were obviously a group of beginners. Being a nice guy I pulled over to the rain-rutted side of the trail and passed almost all of them where I would resume riding on the smoothed out path. But I was in deep dust and couldn't see a sharp rut. I hit that and slammed the brakes on accidently and the hill being very steep I was thrown over the bars and the ground was more than 6 feet below me. The good part was that it gave me time to set up for the landing and the deep dust softened the blow a great deal. The bad thing was that damned bike fell on top of me. The kid passing buy with the group said, "Are you OK?" "AM I OK???" rang off all of the surrounding hills echoing like an explosion. "Yeah I'm OK." Then I kicked the bike off of me and got up. The bike falling on me had cut a couple of fingers but otherwise I was pretty much unharmed though sore for a week.

V- brakes of the proper sort (cyclocross and MTB V-brakes are different) are every bit as powerful but easier to control. You should only use them on aluminum rims though.

And you couldn't give me mechanical disk brakes. The pads wear pretty fast and you're adjusting them all of the time.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I will be perfectly frank, the only reason for disk brakes is that carbon rims have awful braking and you don't want to wear out very expensive wheels. They are FAR too powerful and in cases of an emergency - a car pulling out of a driveway or some such, you inevitably pull them on too hard and there is a very good chance of going over the bars.
That’s the only reason? For me the fact that discs stay out of muddy puddles and offer consistent braking in diverse conditions is a big factor. Plus hydraulic discs are almost universally praised for their modulation, although this can depend on factors like pad material and being well bled. I don’t remember ever thinking I needed less braking.

Top Bottom