First road bike purchase, help with choices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I wouldn't get the Canyon AL, if only for the reason that they don't smooth the welds out - even much cheaper Alu bikes from other manufacturers have this - and it makes a huge difference to the aesthetics of the bike.

The Giant Contend 1 looks like a good choice to me as does the TCR, Giant make excellent bikes and they do tend to be slightly better value for money than some of the other major brands.

In terms of Ribble and Planet X - both good options - but the sizing does concern me as a taller person - I've sat on a Planet X XL frame and it was definitely too small for me - and the owner said it was borderline for him, it felt fine when he got it but after taking longer on it it had started to feel small - he's 6'4" and I'm 6'5".

vickster

Legendary Member
I'll take a look at Planet X now, I've looked at the boardmans at Halfords, but nothing sticks out as value for money in the price range I'm looking at £700-1000 ideally.
How are you defining vfm? You can get 10% off Boardman if a British Cycling member and they often have reductions

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

I wouldn't get the Canyon AL, if only for the reason that they don't smooth the welds out - even much cheaper Alu bikes from other manufacturers have this - and it makes a huge difference to the aesthetics of the bike.

The Giant Contend 1 looks like a good choice to me as does the TCR, Giant make excellent bikes and they do tend to be slightly better value for money than some of the other major brands.

In terms of Ribble and Planet X - both good options - but the sizing does concern me as a taller person - I've sat on a Planet X XL frame and it was definitely too small for me - and the owner said it was borderline for him, it felt fine when he got it but after taking longer on it it had started to feel small - he's 6'4" and I'm 6'5".

Yeah, the Giants are both roughly 20% off their RRP at present (although I'm aware no one ever pays that), just not sure if the best option would be to save and go for the Contend, or spend the extra £380 for the TCR

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

How are you defining vfm? You can get 10% off Boardman if a British Cycling member and they often have reductions

Hi vickster, I'm just defining it as the groupset (being 105/tiagra, complete, partial etc) and the general consensus on the manufacturers/builders bike quality. I don't have a British Cycling membership unfortunately, but it's something I've looked into before, just hasn't made financial sense as of yet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi vickster, I'm just defining it as the groupset (being 105/tiagra, complete, partial etc) and the general consensus on the manufacturers/builders bike quality. I don't have a British Cycling membership unfortunately, but it's something I've looked into before, just hasn't made financial sense as of yet.
It makes most financial sense if unfortunately you have to use their legal services, either because you or your bike get damaged or you damage someone or their property

I'm a SRAM user so 105 /Tiagra is of poor value to me. I don't think it matters if brands are mixed to a price point if the components are of decent quality

I don't buy off the peg bikes now as the components are not right for me based on frame size (cranks, stem, bars ad saddle)

OP
OP
M

MikeJD

It makes most financial sense if unfortunately you have to use their legal services, either because you or your bike get damaged or you damage someone or their property

I'm a SRAM user so 105 /Tiagra is of poor value to me. I don't think it matters if brands are mixed to a price point if the components are of decent quality

I don't buy off the peg bikes now as the components are not right for me based on frame size (cranks, stem, bars ad saddle)

Yeah that is a good point, I'm now looking into it.

Can I ask why you choose SRAM over Shimano?

I'd like to take your approach in the future, getting crank arms that best suit my build etc, I just don't think I'm experienced enough for that just yet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah that is a good point, I'm now looking into it.

Can I ask why you choose SRAM over Shimano?

I'd like to take your approach in the future, getting crank arms that best suit my build etc, I just don't think I'm experienced enough for that just yet.

Hood shape and size, the brake lever doesn't wobble, nice definitive change from the double tap, less clattering from the chain even if you get the front/rear selection wrong...oh and the equivalent groupsets are lighter :whistle: (a bit more costly though due to supply and demand, I paid about another £50'on a recent build to have Rival over 105). I went that way initially partly as i think in 2011 when I got my first roadbike, 50-43/11-32 was a SRAM combo, Shimano offered triples for climbers, Sram compact doubles (as you've said Decathlon still don't offer that combo, you can change parts though for maybe £100-150)

You don't need experience to get components that are the right length, just a knowledgeable shop. I'm female, 5'10 but ride a 54cm frame as my legs are relatively long compared to torso, so 172.5mm cranks, 100mm stem, 40cm bar (most blokes bikes come with a longer stem and wider bars, which can cost a pretty penny for me to change)

You might be fine with the components fitted to the frame size you need

si_c

Guru
Yeah, the Giants are both roughly 20% off their RRP at present (although I'm aware no one ever pays that), just not sure if the best option would be to save and go for the Contend, or spend the extra £380 for the TCR
I'd be tempted to go for the TCR, if only because I'd spend some time wondering "what if". A bike isn't something you buy every year, so be honest with yourself about what makes you happy and where you are happy to compromise, if you know you will be happy with the contend, then that's great! If not... that's also great! :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd be tempted to go for the TCR, if only because I'd spend some time wondering "what if". A bike isn't something you buy every year, so be honest with yourself about what makes you happy and where you are happy to compromise, if you know you will be happy with the contend, then that's great! If not... that's also great! :laugh:
Oh, isn't it... :blush::whistle:

Top Bottom