First Road Bike suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CKone

I am new to this forum so your help would be much appreciated!

I currently cycle to work on a mountain bike with road tyres but it is very heavy. Guy at work told me to get a road bike on the cycle to work scheme.

My budget is £800 and i am currently looking at the Giant Defy 3, Specialized Allez Sport, Scott Speedster S40 or the Cube Peleton.

As i dont really have a clue about road bikes, any suggestions with regard to these bikes or any other bikes on the market.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

stephen.rooke

biggest factors would probably how much your going to ride and fitness etc. the Specialized Allez Sportlooks great

OP
OP
CKone

CKone

well it is 8 miles downhill to work and 8 miles all uphill on the way home.
Takes me 35 minutes to work and 50 minutes back at the moment, currently looking to get fit again.
They all look good i think but aparently i need to order them through Halfords for the cycle2work scheme

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Try them out. See which one you feel most comfortable on. All four are good bikes, but also look at a Trek and the Boardman range as two well-regarded designs.

stephen.rooke

if you get a bike from halfords take it down to your local bike shop and get them to have a look over and make any adjustments etc as halfords are known to be pretty bad at setting up bikes

musa

Über Member
If Halfords your only choice, your best bet is the Boardmans highly rated....but do check if you can use another company for your c2w

OP
OP
CKone

CKone

The Boardman looks like a very nice bike, like the white colour.
I have heard that about Halfords aswell, noted.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
CKone

CKone

Need to use Halfords but they need to source any bike that i want as part of the scheme.
They also have some independent shops that you can use but you need to phone halfords to find out which ones as they wont publish them.

musa

Über Member
Ok, well try find out if not yeah Boardmans and as said have it checked. Majority of them are salesman not mechanics so trained to fit headset pedals and thats it. Some know nothing about bikes

Buddfox

Veteran
Am surprised you have to order through Halfords, but as the proud owner of a Cube Peloton I can vouch for their excellence (got mine at Cycle Surgery, who are more plugged in than Halfords). I use mine for commuting in central London (9 miles each way, most days) as well as longer training rides, trips to the Alps and South Africa, and it has sustained the substantial amount of abuse which I have thrown at it. I needed to replace the wheels after about 3,000 miles, and I have last year's model, but imagine the 2012 is pretty similar. For a road bike, it has a pretty comfortable set up - but as others have commented, do try out two or three to get a feel for it. It's a very different feel to a mountain bike, or at least so I felt at first, particularly stability, steering etc. Your commute will be substantially quicker!

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I got my Cube through Halfords, but I was a little naughty and used tne LBS to try bikes before I bought.
Your arse could be on this machine for a couple of years, so best getting a comfy one:smile:

Bianchi-67

You may want to look at the Bianchi Via Nirone 7. It retails for just under a grand but a great road bike.

BSRU

A Human Being
I am new to this forum so your help would be much appreciated!

I currently cycle to work on a mountain bike with road tyres but it is very heavy. Guy at work told me to get a road bike on the cycle to work scheme.

My budget is £800 and i am currently looking at the Giant Defy 3, Specialized Allez Sport, Scott Speedster S40 or the Cube Peleton.

As i dont really have a clue about road bikes, any suggestions with regard to these bikes or any other bikes on the market.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
If you are using to commute you it would be better to have something that takes mudguards and a rear pannier rack, assuming this is your main commuter bike. A decent hybrid or cross bike would do the job just as well.

Top Bottom