First Road Bike suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham

I got a rode bike first. But the state of the roads around south Manchester were so dire that I wish I'd got a cyclocross bike like a Specialized Tri-cross or something like that.

defy-one

Get a sports hybrid, £800 will buy you a light frame,700c wheels with slightly wider tyres than a road bike. ability to tale mudguards would be a bonus if it's a year round bike
Take a look at the specialized sirrus elite and similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thefollen

Veteran
Can't speak from experience on your potential models, but a Trek 1.5 is my first road bike and it's been brilliant! Carbon fork & seatpost, tiagra shifters- it's a really nice ride. Taken a couple of thumps without any significant damage too. Excellent entry level road bike, you'll simply glide along. Pricewise mine was £900 (2011 model) buut about a month later (bought mine last May) Evans put them down to £750 (buggers). Anyways, the same might happen with the 2012 model- worth a look.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll love the switch to road bike and then you can claim a few scalps!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I ride a Boardman Road Race (http://www.ridein.co.uk/boardman-road-race) which they sell in Halfords. Great bike. I was recommend it by a friend who works in the bike industry - he says that they're the best value around at the moment. It's a great bike to ride - looks good, very quick and all the components are really good quality. Recommend it.

Yes the Boardman brand is very well known and liked on these here boards.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Have ridden the Defy 3 and can say it is a lovely bike. The Bianci and the Sirrus mentioned are also very good bikes for the money. Also agree on the Dawes tourer bike suggestion

What a road bike offers over a standard road hybrid with flat bars is the drop positions to get down low, sometimes helpful when theres a headwind. I too will highly recommend you look at mudguards, keeps the crack of your a*** clean when its wet, and also keeps the muck off the chain to some extent. Installing a rack is also beneficial allowing you to get out of the saddle a little more easily and alleviating the sweaty back syndrome

defy-one

well it is 8 miles downhill to work and 8 miles all uphill on the way home.
Takes me 35 minutes to work and 50 minutes back at the moment, currently looking to get fit again.
They all look good i think but aparently i need to order them through Halfords for the cycle2work scheme

Double check that YOU HAVE TO USE HALFRAUDS - my company was saying that last year, but I just had an email from them, saying we are now using "cycle scheme" which opens up my choice. It maybe the same for you?

Top Bottom