First Road bike under £800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Pinnacle is arguably the best commuter with disc brakes, will take mudguards and a rack too. Good spec, Tiagra and TRP Spyre mechanical discs. It will likely be a heavier bike though (although 10.3kg isn't. Heavy really but it will get heavier with pedals, mudguards, rack if you go that way)
The smallest size in the Trek is a 54, might be too big
The Cannondale has a similar spec to the Trek, more sizes though. But no rack mounts, thinner tyres than the others and as such you may not be able to get fatter tyres and mudguards to fit
Go to Evans and give them a ride, you may need to pay a refundable deposit for them to get the bikes in your size.
The Pinnacle would be my choice for commuting (although I couldn't live with the colour)

Gunk

Guru
Personally I’d rather buy a almost new £1500 bike for £800. Start looking at secondhand and you really then take a huge step up in quality and specification. I bought my two year old BMC road bike recently for less than half price and it’s indistinguishable from a brand new bike. It had only ever been used a couple of times on a turbo.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
He says he's using C2W, so used is not an option

Of course its an option. Its just at this moment in time OP probably thinks the best way forward is the scheme. Its perfectly reasonable to highlight the advantages of the second hand market. If it were not for this forum I would have probably spent a shed load of money buying new when instead I got a perfectly usable commuter bike from Ebay for £100.

vickster

Legendary Member
Of course its an option. Its just at this moment in time OP probably thinks the best way forward is the scheme. Its perfectly reasonable to highlight the advantages of the second hand market. If it were not for this forum I would have probably spent a shed load of money buying new when instead I got a perfectly usable commuter bike from Ebay for £100.
That's what he says. Maybe he doesn't have £100 cash. He'll be back to respond presumably @sammydaviss1

Lee1319

Regular
You have done the hard part and narrowed it down to 3 bike now look up reviews on each one and see what they have to offer you and make your choice from that 👍🏻

BigMeatball

Forget reviews, go try them out!

Yes and no.

Meaning, when you're getting your first bike, they're all going to feel pretty much the same. Especially when you have only a few minutes to do a test ride.

I tried a few bikes before buying mine, and just by feel I couldn't make a decision. They all felt great. So, after seeing that I was comfortable with all of them, I just decided based on specs, reviews and price.

I think test rides are much more useful for more experienced/skilled riders who actually know what they're looking for in a bike.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes and no.

Meaning, when you're getting your first bike, they're all going to feel pretty much the same. Especially when you have only a few minutes to do a test ride.

I tried a few bikes before buying mine, and just by feel I couldn't make a decision. They all felt great. So, after seeing that I was comfortable with all of them, I just decided based on specs, reviews and price.

I think test rides are much more useful for more experienced/skilled riders who actually know what they're looking for in a bike.
I disagree. A test ride is essential for assessing size and fit, thus comfort ime. He is choosing between 3, one which might not be available in his size but he won’t know unless he sits on it.

BigMeatball

I disagree. A test ride is essential for assessing size and fit, thus comfort ime. He is choosing between 3, one which might not be available in his size but he won’t know unless he sits on it.

There are sizing charts you can see before picking the bike. You're not going to go oh ok I'm 5 foot 2....just give me an XL frame please.

Let me rephrase it for you: given you pick 3 bikes of the right size for you (based on charts plus what the bike shop guy tells you), then a test ride if you are newbie doesn't add much value because your body, not being used to be on a bike, does not know what good should feel like and cannot make you say oh yeah this bike is much better than the last one.

vickster

Legendary Member
Right, ok
As someone who bought a too big bike without a test ride and ended up with chronic tennis elbow as a result which needed endless treatment, physio, injections and two painful surgeries to fix, I err on the side of caution. Esp when spending £800 on a depreciating asset on finance

Last edited:
Top Bottom