First Road bike under £800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting my first road bike.
I have a budget of around £800 but would possibly stretch to £1000 if I had to.
I want to start using it for the commute to work and most weekends for fitness.
The commute to work would mainly be country lanes and is approximately 9 miles each way.
I'm really not too clued up on bikes so any information for me to use in my search would be appreciated.
I've been looking for weeks now but there's just too many to choose from.

Thanks,
Sam
Chainreaction have got a bunch of Williers on offer? Advice on getting a quality second hander is sensible at this time of year, i have got a Ghost carbon ultegra but its a 58cm, just not using much.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I went to Evans cycles yesterday and liked the look of these bikes. Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for one of these??
Is one of them superior to the others in terms of spec??

The chap said there's no reason why one of these wouldn't fit what I'm looking for.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-r1-2019-road-bike-EV339950

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-domane-al-4-2019-road-bike-EV340571

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caad-optimo-tiagra-2020-road-bike-EV360806

I will be getting whatever bike I choose through the cycle to work scheme definitely so second hand isn't really what I'm after.

Cheers all.
The pinnacle, just for the disc brakes. If you are using it to commute in the wet, these are the most important thing to consider. Just for peace of mind.

nickAKA

Über Member
My two pence FWIW -
I've bought 2 x 2nd hand bikes for mates off ebay recently; first one was an orro (£2000 RRP, paid £550) and a focus cayo (£1300 RRP, paid £400).
Both looked like new, the cayo looks like it has done 200 miles max where the orro had obviously seen some miles but had been well looked after. The caveat here is obviously you need to know what you're looking out for if going down the 2nd hand route.
I say this purely to point out the value in going 2nd hand. A £400 bike will still be worth good money in 12 months (if you look after it) so if it's not for you, very little pain in changing it. A new sub-£1000 bike is going to lose a chunk of its value as soon as you pedal it. You may be lucky, love it and still be riding it in 5 years... who knows?
C2W is a great scheme but you will find yourself buying a bike that you may or may not get on with and throwing things into the transaction that you don't really need, then buying some of the stuff you do need twice when you've sussed out your personal requirements.
It's all part of the learning process I suppose but if you can avoid costly mistakes (which, let's be honest, many of us have made) it's got to be better than burning through cash that will be better spent when you know what is right for you.

The only slight fly in the ointment with it, is the relatively low recommended rider and kit weights. But if you’re not a bigger rider, they are superb.

Yep. I sit between 80-85 (depending on how much I don't pay attention to my general diet) and it's absolutely perfect.

Bought the 20 quid B'Twin shoes and Shimano SPD pedals and it's the best decision I could have made. Those specs for under 800 are frankly ridiculous.

Yep. I sit between 80-85 (depending on how much I don't pay attention to my general diet) and it's absolutely perfect.

Bought the 20 quid B'Twin shoes and Shimano SPD pedals and it's the best decision I could have made. Those specs for under 800 are frankly ridiculous.
If you price up the groupset, the wheelset, the brakes and the saddle, it makes the frame free ( in fact they’ve paid you ).

Gunk

Guru
Friend of mine has bought a similar Decathlon bike online (30% off) recently as donor bike to rebuild his 10 year old carbon Ribble.

Top Bottom