first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ayd68

Thanks guys, I was thinking of buying a used bike but I have no idea what to look for in terms of gear ratios etc so this is my only option!

I have a Viking SS and its been great, no problems with it other than its damm heavy ;) However a friend bought one and didn't get on with it from day one; I'd also recommend saving up a wee bit more or going 2nd hand (my last B&B manager sold his last road bike for £120, a bit old but 10x better than the Viking).

Ayd68

Thanks, I'm tempted to go second hand. If I went down that route could any of you recommend what I should be looking for in terms or weight, gears wheels, brakes etc? Any particular spec to aim for? Sorry for all the questions but 1st road bike is always a bit confusing I guess!

Thanks, I'm tempted to go second hand. If I went down that route could any of you recommend what I should be looking for in terms or weight, gears wheels, brakes etc? Any particular spec to aim for? Sorry for all the questions but 1st road bike is always a bit confusing I guess!
The biggest difference on bike gearing afaic is, is it a Traditional Double, Compact Double or a Tripple. If the bike is a traditional double its got two large rings at the front (say a 39/53) this make it good for flat out and downhill speed but makes it hard work on hills. The Compact (say a 34/50) is less speedy but easier on hills. The tripple has three chain rings which will give you a better range of gears (say 30/42/52) with less gaps between them the fashion however, is for a double; the choice is yours there. In a nutshell the bigger the rings the faster downhill but harder they are. The Cassette is the opposite the smaller it is the faster/harder it is but it can easily be changed if it doesn't suit you.

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
j have upped my budget to arroung £500 but will be getting bike on finance so will have to get from evans or similar (evans has the best finance at 0% for 12 months!) so new question is whats the best road bike for arround 500 quidon the evans website:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/dolomite-one-2012-road-bike-ec035886
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/newest-20-2012-road-bike-ec031219
just a couple i hav e seen what do you think?
I think the Sora on the Fuji is better than 6300 on the Pinacle (but not by much) and the Fuji is a 9sp, and has a wider range of gears and lower gears; the Fuji also has a higher top gear 50-11 as oppose to 50-12 which will make it faster downhill. The Fuji also has rack mounts which will make it easier if you decide to fit a rack for touring/commuting. Based on that out of the two I'd go for the Fuji but the proof is more likely to be evident in the flesh when you see/ test ride.

OP
OP
lip03

lip03

Über Member
Great so the Fuji looks like a good buy! I will take a walk to Evans in my lunch and have a ride. I'll report back in how it rides

jim55

Guru
to me apart from spec diferences the fuji looks better (imo),id pay the wee bit extra and get that if only for the admiring glances (and tbh fuji conjures up images of japanese stuff and its a brand that a few people will have heard of ,pinnacle ?sounds like a cheaper make (i used to play golf with a cheap brand of balls from time to time and guess the make ,pinnacle !!!

Drago

Legendary Member
I've just accidentally ordered a Pinnacle Dolomite One tonight, despite what I said about drop bars in my earlier post. I'd been looking at the less hardcore old Git friendly geometry on the likes of the Giant Defy, and while I'm a big fan of Giants for the standard of build, finish, and talk bloke geometry, the Pinnacle lipped it slightly on spec and price, not to mention the £100 of free accessories Evans were chucking in.

I'd go with the T3 rather than either of those. Between the two, if money is tight, £100 worth of accessories is probably pretty valuable.

Don't consider what others think, I've just been shopping for entry level bikes, so I'm aware that they are both Evans house brands, and was not surprised to cruise past someone on a Fuji on my folder. And people that don't know about bikes, well you can't know what will impress them.

Top Bottom