First Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,
I am still on the hunt for a reliable Road bike suitable for an iron man event, my budget isn't a lot as im a novice so don't want to pay to much, so looking at the 400-600 mark. I looked at a Carrera Vanquish recently at £425.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks

gaijintendo

Veteran
Have a look in the classifieds section. Depending on your height you might be pleasantly surprised.

Jody

Stubborn git
Ebay or Gumtree. Road bikes seem to loose there value really quck so you can pick up great condition 12-18 month old bikes for next to nothing.

Slick

Guru
Carrera bikes are okay and the Vanquish is probably a bit better than most at that price. It will do your iron man no problem but longer term the components are quite soft and you may find yourself either upgrading or replacing almost everything including the wheels. I started with one though, just to see if I would get in to road bikes as the advice I was getting was to get a any other type of bike. I enjoyed having the Carrera, but ended up just giving it away to a friend.

OP
OP
N

Northernlegs

Regular
Have a look in the classifieds section. Depending on your height you might be pleasantly surprised.
Sorry where do i find the classified site

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I got my bike for a steal on Craig's-list, which is a classifieds website here in the US that searches for you by location. See if you have a site like that where you are, there are always dozens of road bikes (and all kinds of bikes!) on mine.

the_craig

Über Member
Facebook is a good place for picking up bikes.

I picked up my Claude Butler for £90 back in July last year from a fella on it. May not be the best but it was a steal (not literally. Which is the main pitfall of buying 2nd hand)

Kernow_T

Über Member
Thanks for the 'nod' @gaijintendo - possibly a touch big unless you're v leggy).
I also have a BNIB (bought 2 identical bikes for Mrs and I - she didn't even appreciate the gesture and her words were "How can I spend years saying YOU DON'T NEED MORE THAN ONE BIKE and then have two myself?") Wilier Montegrappa Sora size med (54.5) suitable 5'7-5'10.
Let me know if interested; I can squeeze it posted within your budget

EDIT: The very bottom of your budget (£400 posted) that is!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180426_185025.jpg
    IMG_20180426_185025.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Top Bottom