First self driving (reported) fatality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
So what was the operator inside the vehicle doing at the time?

On his/her mobile :whistle:
Possibly, but I would certainly find it harder to concentrate on the road if I didn't have to. It's easy for attention to drift even without distraction.

I wonder how often human intervention has prevented this sort of tragedy in the trials? I wouldn't put it past Uber to keep running the tests after collisions have been avoided, and only stopped them now a fatality has occurred, that they can't cover up.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5187206, member: 9609"]To judge the incident we would need to know the full facts and see some video (which hopefully we wont get to see) , the pedestrian may have suddenly and unexpectedly stepped out, it may not have been preventable by even the carefullest and skilled driver.[/QUOTE]
I seriously doubt she was fired into the car's way by a cannon or similar.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Someone should be charged with manslaughter.

Uber !! Could be very serious actually.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think I would rather take my chances on the road with fallible human drivers than put my life in the hands of a spotty Silicon Valley software geek with limited life experience and an unrealistic faith in the algorithms that he's been asked to code that afternoon.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I think I would rather take my chances on the road with fallible human drivers than put my life in the hands of a spotty Silicon Valley software geek with limited life experience and an unrealistic faith in the algorithms that he's been asked to code that afternoon.
I'm sure you will be relieved to know that More thought, time and effort has gone into it than some imaginary geek in an afternoon.

That said, I think an uber smart car is the last self diving car iwould choose to be in

rualexander

Legendary Member
The images I saw showed a damaged bike lying on the pavement (sidewalk) beside the robot car, so was the pedestrian a cyclist who was walking at the time they decided to cross the road?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Top Bottom