First Signs of Spring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thread resurrection.
Saw my first lambs of 2024 today shame they were in a barn rather than out in a field.

IMG_20240217_064629.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Funny, at my last place which is only around 20 miles away, I would see lambs in the field from new year almost. I'm looking at a farm now from my couch and the sheep are still out but no signs of any lambs yet.

The one's I saw were a good few weeks old by the look of it and is the normal place I have spotted first lambs for the last few years.

A customer who I used to deal with lived in the middle of Scotland and the family farm she lived on always had them from valentine's day onwards roughly.

Slick

Guru
The one's I saw were a good few weeks old by the look of it and is the normal place I have spotted first lambs for the last few years.

A customer who I used to deal with lived in the middle of Scotland and the family farm she lived on always had them from valentine's day onwards roughly.

I'm sure there will be differences geographically even within Scotland and not all will want to breed twice a year.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's getting lighter in the late evening. Er, that's the only sign of spring I can see. Apart from that it's still peeing down, still blowing a gale and snow is forecast for next week!!:cold: :headshake::thumbsup:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Daffs are usually starting to come out around mid-Feb, because there are usually plenty of them by St David's day.

I've seen a few, plus snowdrops and some crocuses.

I thought about buying some cut ones yesterday for my dad's grave, but in this bleak weather I doubt they'd open up fully enough to be noticed. Yes, I know they start to die the moment they are cut, but after 22 years of putting them on his grave I've found the warmer the weather, the more they're likely to open up.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Yesterday I specifically went out to photo some hazel tree flowers, I love tracking them down at this time of year. Most people know the catkins, but the flowers (female) are the tiny red ones above the catkins (male) in the photo, really easy to miss. These, when fertilized by the pollen from the catkins (must be from another tree) are what develop into hazelnuts.

20240217_140446.jpg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Daffs are usually starting to come out around mid-Feb, because there are usually plenty of them by St David's day.

I've seen a few, plus snowdrops and some crocuses.

There's a clump of daffs near me which flower really early. Over the years the earliest they have been out was 10th December, this year it was 20th Dec. I have some daffs in my garden which are only just showing and will be flowering into late April/ early May. I guess that means you could have daffs in flower for almost half a year!

Top Bottom