First Signs of Spring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD built a low fence around the pond Using sticks and a wicker effect. We bought some mulberry and other Berry trees and put them in the ground in the fencie only a week ago and already they are starting to show buds.

Been seeing lots more geese this week than I’ve seen the rest of the winter, wondering if the ones who wintered down south are starting to make their way north again.

Slick

Guru
Been seeing lots more geese this week than I’ve seen the rest of the winter, wondering if the ones who wintered down south are starting to make their way north again.

Seems like thousands spend the winter here. I'm actually surprised that the farmers don't do more to discourage them as they must do some damage over the winter period. I know on Islay there was damage being done to the golf course, but they just accepted it as part of life.

Mike_P

Guru
People going crazy buying compost in B&Q, "the weather gone mild' Um...all those planted spring bedding plants dead within. A fortnight due to overnight frosts at least.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Tens of thousands of Greylag, Pink foot and Canada flown over the house and along the Lune estuary. Lots in the fields grazing during the day. Perhaps not quite as many as before avian flu.

Alex321

Veteran
I thought about buying some cut ones yesterday for my dad's grave, but in this bleak weather I doubt they'd open up fully enough to be noticed. Yes, I know they start to die the moment they are cut, but after 22 years of putting them on his grave I've found the warmer the weather, the more they're likely to open up.

It's been warm enough here that both yesterday and today, I was out on the bike without my legwarmers, for the first time this year, and bare legs were not uncomfortable.

Still had my long sleeved jersey on, but was wondering if I'd have been comfortable with short sleeves and arm warmers.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It was still light at 5.20pm yesterday and I'm planning on cutting back my daily vitamin D (and calcium) tablet intake to two and a half, not the winter daily three tablets, at the end of February. 🤔

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
The Crocus are in flower and my Japanese Maples are waking up so Summer isn't far away now

yello

If, we get a long spell of sub zero temperatures, would this probably kill off the plants and animals who have been fooled into thinking that spring has arrived?

Local wine producers are afraid of that very thing. They invest in all manner of blankets and heaters to keep the vines warm and protect the new growth. It's been an issue for them in recent years.

Top Bottom