First snapped chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
chain wear gauge?

sorry if I sound stupid,it's because I am :huh:
where's that?
Though if you scroll down to Sheldon Brown's ''measuring chain wear'' section it gives guidance on using an inch ruler.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Change at 0.75 and you should be ok with the cassette. Change at 1.0 and you will need a new cassette.

Do not ever reuse a chain that has broken, time for new. Use a quick link to get you home, then get a new chain.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
For most people I would say get a new chain, the price does not justify risking your ability to reproduce, however, in order to save your local population from having to suffer an army of MatthewT's when you hit puberty, maybe you should risk it for just a while longer :tongue:

Just kidding, or maybe not, either way, buy a new chain, a chain tool and a quick link.

D

Deleted member 1258

As others have said replace the chain, I replace my chains every twelve months, about 3000 miles on the fixed, about 2000 miles on the geared bike.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
This morning I started inspecting the chain and fixing it. After I had removed the broken link, I saw another link that was snapped. I then inspected the whole chain and found two other links that had splits through the plates.
I am very glad I actually had a look at the chain because now I know not to ever use it again. It was unrepairable.

So I have now throw it in the bin and decided to just clean the bike instead. I now have a few days to wait until the new chain comes so the next time I am on the bike will probably be Mondays commute.

Gary E

Veteran
The only good use for a chain that's shown even the slightest sign of snapping. This one was making a clicking noise at the rear derailleur and on closer examination I found that one of the side plates had popped off it's pin. I use it now to identify the car keys with the Bike rack keys on :smile:
image.jpg

Gary E

Veteran
...and this one was taken off my old work horse MTB which, unlike my other bikes, is not cleaned and Mickled after every ride :blush:
IMAG0293.jpg

Its a 2011 model. The guy I bought it off had done 20 miles on it.

Everybody selling a used bike has done fewer than fifty miles on it.

Have you ever met anyone who has done fewer than fifty miles on a bicycle?

Or fewer than five hundred?

Caveat emptor, carpe diem, timeo danaos et donor ferentes and of course ore stabit fortis arare placet ore stat.

Top Bottom