First solo commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mummy3monkeys

I have only commuted in the daylight with my husband until today.
I borrowed his bright lights and went solo (he was on a training course in Ipswich, had the car and I would have had to wait ages for him to pick me up, so off I went.

The ride in was good, as the sunrise started to appear and I could see better. I made good time, and it set me up for the day.
The ride home was slightly different, it was raining/sleeting and cars were keeping their lights on full beam. Wearing glasses, unable to see with the rain and the headlights blurring everything didn't make for a good ride.
I was ok with cars behind me, as they lit up the road, and Norfolk back rds with no lamps are pretty awful for cycling solo I have discovered. But I found myself losing the edge of the road and going quite central when cars were approaching me.
Very tiresome, but I got home eventually, if very wet and muddy and cold (15.8 miles) :cold:

Katherine

Guru
I have only commuted in the daylight with my husband until today.
I borrowed his bright lights and went solo (he was on a training course in Ipswich, had the car and I would have had to wait ages for him to pick me up, so off I went.

The ride in was good, as the sunrise started to appear and I could see better. I made good time, and it set me up for the day.
The ride home was slightly different, it was raining/sleeting and cars were keeping their lights on full beam. Wearing glasses, unable to see with the rain and the headlights blurring everything didn't make for a good ride.
I was ok with cars behind me, as they lit up the road, and Norfolk back rds with no lamps are pretty awful for cycling solo I have discovered. But I found myself losing the edge of the road and going quite central when cars were approaching me.
Very tiresome, but I got home eventually, if very wet and muddy and cold (15.8 miles) :cold:
Well done.
Try the Endura anti fog yellow glasses. Not bad in the rain and against headlights.

Simontm

Veteran
Well done. I wear prescription glasses and have a peaked cap that goes under the helmet - keeps most rain off. You can get a lens holder for Endura's but that will mean getting a couple of lenses done.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done @Mummy3monkeys, be proud of this achievement!

vickster

Legendary Member
I got my Oakley from these guys, excellent service. Cost wise, they would have been around £315 delivered special delivery. I got £50 off which finally swung it for me to sort

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/

Boots want around £350 for prescription Oakleys. I decided which style I wanted at Sunglass Hut at Gatwick and then ordered (I was honest about my needs and that I wasn't going to buy there at 6am, they don't sell prescription ones anyhow)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Great riding !

Rubbing in a tiny amount of washing-up liquid with your fingers then wiping it off with a tissue can help with fogging problems. I have a pair of Norville SRX cycling glasses with prescription inserts and they can be a right PITA in the rain.

Top Bottom