First sportive fear/hopes/dreams...help and advise please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SirDickieBird

Hello - new poster here so sorry if I'm repeating things. I have trawled and searched but wanted some more specific / up-to-date info.

Sit rep:
Got a 2nd hand Saracen MTB for a few quid last October. 1st few rides of <2 miles to the shop left me with shaking legs - decided I must get fitter.

Fast-forward to May and I got out more, switched to City Jet tyres from knobbles.
5 mile rides at first building up to most recent of 25 miles (flat, average speed 16mph according to Strava).

I'm enjoying the rides but finding the bike slow especially up hills - it has front suspension which doesn't help either.

I'd love to enter an upcoming sportive (there's a 35 mile short route which is within my range I feel) but am pretty sure I'll look ridiculous turning up on the bike I have now!

I presume pretty much any aluminium road bike will be faster than my MTB now? Currently trawling eBay but don't know what I'm looking for really and might end up with a new Carrera from Halfords if nothing comes up.

Any advise / expertise for good 2nd hand makes / brands. Budget £300 ish. Would prefer an expensive bike when new, but 2nd hand but don't want to pay £££ for a lemon that's been trashed.

Any tips for sportives especially for turning up and never having done anything like that before? I don't know if I'll just be on my own like a right Billy No-Mates...

Sorry for the rambling first post!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome:

If you can manage 16mph over 25 miles on your Saracen that is not too shabby at all and I doubt you'd have trouble managing the 35 mile sportive.

Don't forget that a sportive isn't a race (no matter what some think) and that on the short version you are likely to be surrounded by people who are also new to it and may well be on similar types of bike.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with good advice on choosing a road bike. You've mentioned Carrera which are generally regarded as good entry level bikes and if you have a Decathlon within reach, their Triban range has a big fan following on here as they are hard to beat for the money. I see that they have the Triban 500SE back on their website which offers 24 gears and a carbon fibre fork for £300.

Let us know how you get on.:okay:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I would expect to see a few hybrids and mountain bikes on the 35 mile route of a sportive.
Small groups tend to form out on the route purely based on a few riders riding at the same speed. Joining a group will make riding easier for you as you take turns at the front breaking up the wind for riders behind you.

£300 Would probably get you a decent secondhand Specialized Allez or Cannondale synapse.
If you see something that catches your eye you can ask for advice on a specific bike on here.

Good Luck

Doobiesis

Über Member
I did a 66mile sportive last year and the best advice I could give you is to make sure whatever bike you use, is fitted to you and is comfortable.

If you're getting a road bike make sure you have time to get used to it, it's a whole different ballgame on a road bike, it's uncomfortable and you feel every part of the road. But once you get used to it, it's amazing.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Can you not lock the suspension? That would make a difference.

City Jets are fine - they're the same tyres I have on my hybrid that I used to use regularly for commuting. But you might find a bit of extra speed by switching to lighter, more supple tyres - Schwalbe Marathon Supreme are good, though a bit pricey (still cheaper than buying a whole new bike though).

The bike you've got is fine for a sportive. You certainly won't be the slowest rider there, not by a long way.

Reactions: mjr

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Funnily enough, a mate of mine did a 50-mile sportive on a Saracen MTB fitted with road tyres last year.
He was far from the last back and his average speed had more to do with his lack of training and overall bike fitness than the bike itself.

As has been said, there are a lot of decent second hand bikes around at the £300 mark.

As for sportive advice, if you're already averaging 16mph over 25 miles you'll have no problems with a 35 miler. Best advice I can give is do it at your own pace, don't get caught up in all the racing nonsense at the start that always goes on and enjoy the day. If you need a breather, take five minutes. It is not a race! :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Congrats on upping your fitness. If you can turn in those times on a MTB then when you get the road bike you'll feel like you're flying.

For your budget used is a good route to go but unfortunately its a bit of a minefield if you don't know what to look for and can end up costing money. A vintage steel bike can be pretty cool and fast too the trouble is finding a good one. This is one I bought down here for little money and its great, its a Schwinn from the States:
IMG_20170606_090438.jpg

@biggs682 on here always has a few which all checked and serviced and within your budget. What is your height and inseam?

dfthe1

Me and my mate did our first sportive last summer. It was a 100 miler. He did it on a hybrid and I did it on a £150 cross bike from Halfords. He broke a spoke at mile 18 and there was no mechanic until mile 50. We finished it and loved every minute of it. Everyone we met was doing it for fun -- there wasn't even a hint of competition.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you're getting a road bike make sure you have time to get used to it, it's a whole different ballgame on a road bike, it's uncomfortable and you feel every part of the road. But once you get used to it, it's amazing.
Whole different ballgame, but it shouldn't necessarily be uncomfortable IMO. You might tire more quickly, especially if you've not built the core strength to handle the more leant riding position, but any other discomfort probably means something's not quite right.

All bikes are amazing, really. I'd do the sportive on the Saracen and ponder getting a road bike as a separate thing under less pressure of time. I did several sportive rides on my hybrid, before creeping rule changes stopped me.

OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

Wow! Thanks for all your replies - good comments from everyone. Obviously a good forum...

What some of you have said has made me think about sticking with my MTB for now and keeping an eye out longer-term for a decent 2nd hand road bike and maybe get one new for next spring if nothing comes up - the decathalon ones have come up a lot during searching and seem a bit more respectable than Carreras.

Was thinking of the Wiggle Yorkshire Tour, but realised it's the day before my holiday and after the "breaking my leg before our wedding anniversary" incident I daren't do it... Will probably go for the Ay Up one instead but there's a climb I need to train for... End of Sept though so good prep time.

Thanks again everyone.

Unfortunately not near Wellingborough...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you want to get a new major brand bike, buying in the autumn/winter when they're clearing the current year's range usually gives better value for money than buying in the spring just after the new ranges have launched.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Congrats on upping your fitness. If you can turn in those times on a MTB then when you get the road bike you'll feel like you're flying.

For your budget used is a good route to go but unfortunately its a bit of a minefield if you don't know what to look for and can end up costing money. A vintage steel bike can be pretty cool and fast too the trouble is finding a good one. This is one I bought down here for little money and its great, its a Schwinn from the States:
View attachment 358874
@biggs682 on here always has a few which all checked and serviced and within your budget. What is your height and inseam?
Fine Traveller, looks like a mid 80s, I think in 1985 they made it with downturn shifters and True Temper tubeset. Great bikes, the one I had was, oddly, too big for me.

Top Bottom