First sportive fear/hopes/dreams...help and advise please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
One L your side of the pond! That's right @Gravity Aided it has the 'true temper' Cro-Mo tube set and forks. Really great bike. Shimano Exage group set with indexed levers. Rims made by Sun in the good old USA. Its one of my favourite bikes, I can just about get 28c tyres on it for extra comfort. I was going to sell it but I can't bear to. When I got it it'd been hardly used. 25" frame.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
One L your side of the pond! That's right @Gravity Aided it has the 'true temper' Cro-Mo tube set and forks. Really great bike. Shimano Exage group set with indexed levers. Rims made by Sun in the good old USA. Its one of my favourite bikes, I can just about get 28c tyres on it for extra comfort. I was going to sell it but I can't bear to. When I got it it'd been hardly used. 25" frame.
Aye, ye got the one good year for that bicycle. Schwinn was trying to up their game at that time, so many P series bikes, like the Prelude, Passage, and Premis, along with the Voyageur, were made of Columbus Steel . Fine riders, but my Passage Tourer got a bit noodly after some time, as I could take the saddle in one hand and the bars in the other, and see the give in the frame. I did a metric century on one of those Travelers from that period. It was Bianchi Celeste and rust in color, the Celeste applied by Schwinn, the rust supplied by fortunes' lot. I cleared it, repainted it, and gave the frame away. I think my frame was also 25" or bigger, it was a bit of a stretch for me.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I'm a bit late on this one, here are my thoughts-
I was in your position a couple of years ago. Through a combination of lack of time, money and knowledge I picked up a Carrera when I decided that the RideLondon was not going to be feasible on a MTB. It has served me really well - I've finished 2 RideLondon's plus a handful of other Sportives over the last couple of years. It will be upgraded just as soon as the house, the kids and the cars are not sucking up all my spare cash !
I've always entered the Sportives on my own but always find them very sociable - its very easy to strike up a conversation both on the road and before and after the event. With my speed and ability there is never any danger of getting caught up on any racing that may be going on !

Best of luck and enjoy your riding.

Top Bottom