First Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
just booked myself onto my first sportive, 70 miles. Been doing 40mile rides and have 6 weeks to get up to that distance. Just loving being out on my bike. Any advice?

vickster

Legendary Member
Ride your bike, safely and enjoy. It's not a race ;) you'll be fine to ride 70 in 6 weeks if 40 is comfortable. Just remember to eat and drink regularly. And know how to fix potential mechanicals

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Take your time and enjoy it! So much build up, training, planning and anticipation, then 5 hours later its done and you are back in the car!

Which one have you signed up to?

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Take your time and enjoy it! So much build up, training, planning and anticipation, then 5 hours later its done and you are back in the car!

Which one have you signed up to?
Spring Saddle Portive at Newmarket. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
The 70 will probably feel like 40 if you've got company to ride with and you take it steady. May the day be dry, the sun shining, and the winds non-existent ... :biggrin:
I like your thinking and I hope it's like that as well :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
Go flat out from the start, ride on the wrong side of the road, get in others people's way whilst riding erratically, throw as much rubbish away as possible.
Have lots of excuses as to why you could have gone faster, drive the 3 miles to the start to save yourself for the race!

Have fun and be aware if others doing the above.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If you're already doing 40 mile rides, you'll be able to do 70 miles, just keep getting in the riding time and do it at your own pace and don't get tempted / caught up in any of the silly 'racing' nonsense that sometimes goes on with those jockeying to be in the first wave out. Don't be afraid to take a break at the food station and top up your energy levels.
And take a couple of spare tubes and the knowledge of how to change them if you need to.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you're already doing 40 mile rides, you'll be able to do 70 miles, just keep getting in the riding time and do it at your own pace and don't get tempted / caught up in any of the silly 'racing' nonsense that sometimes goes on with those jockeying to be in the first wave out. Don't be afraid to take a break at the food station and top up your energy levels.
And take a couple of spare tubes and the knowledge of how to change them if you need to.
Indeed there can be some riders who are in a real rush and if your not used to group riding it can be a shock when a group comes past full bore about a foot from your bars .

Lee gg

just booked myself onto my first sportive, 70 miles. Been doing 40mile rides and have 6 weeks to get up to that distance. Just loving being out on my bike. Any advice?
Don't go down the lance armstrong route, ha ha seriously you will complete that.

Top Bottom