First Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just booked myself onto my first sportive, 70 miles. Been doing 40mile rides and have 6 weeks to get up to that distance. Just loving being out on my bike. Any advice?
Your nearly there already, they say you want to do 75% of the distance before an event and you are not far off it, enjoy :okay:

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Your nearly there already, they say you want to do 75% of the distance before an event and you are not far off it, enjoy :okay:
So if I can do the 75 and I'm sure I will, does that mean I could go for the 100 another time- Norfolk 100 or Boudicca 100? Or would I be pushing my luck?

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Find a 'larger' rider on the Sportive, then use them as a wind break. You'll save yourself 30 odd percent in effort that way.
Mmmm guess I might have a long line behind me then :smile: although I am 5 1/2 stone lighter than June last year. Really looking forward to it.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
So if I can do the 75 and I'm sure I will, does that mean I could go for the 100 another time- Norfolk 100 or Boudicca 100? Or would I be pushing my luck?

Get in regular rides after the first Sportive to keep your fitness levels up. At least weekly, if you can, even if it is only commuting.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Get in regular rides after the first Sportive to keep your fitness levels up. At least weekly, if you can, even if it is only commuting.
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to do LEJOG June,July so using these as part of training, riding two longer rides at weekend and at least two rides mid week. Building up to daily riding month before. Want to be able to do longer rides than the 60-80 I plan to do a day.

Some great tips on here and I shall take these on board myself! I'm also doing my first one in May- although some may call it baptism of fire as my wonderful mate decided to enter me into the 112 mile Tour of the Peak! :eek:

Shortandcrisp

Über Member

Yes you could. I did the Norwich 100 a couple of days after having sat on my arse for 3 and a half weeks driving coast to coast across the US, and only a few months after having returned to cycling after a 26 year hiatus. Longest ride up to that point had been 56 miles.

Top Bottom