First swim since lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Boy that was tough!

My standard daily routine - 40 lengths - but what's usually a comfortable glide was a slog from start to finish.

Doesn't take long to get out of condition. Nor do you notice - or at least I didn't - the decline. I knew I was less fit. I knew it would be harder, after such a long break But not that much harder. I didn't think it would hurt. Six months. And it's not like I've been sofa-bound - I've been cycling, not as much, but some, and walking the dog, and generally getting more exercise than many. But giving up the daily ride & swim has clearly had a massive impact.

I've come to the conclusion that keeping fit is a doddle, but getting fit is anything but.

No wonder so many prefer to go out for a cheeky Nando's. :blush:

cheys03

Veteran
Well done!! That was the hardest session, they’ll get easier from here as you well know.

screenman

Legendary Member
2k or 80 lengths 4 times a week is my norm and has been for about the last 5 years, often further never shorter, I am still waiting for the pool to open up as I have not swam for 155 days.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Went swimming 3 days on the trot this weekend at the caravan pool. Over did it as I couldn't swim on day 3 without stabbing pains where my spinal fracture is, so got out of the pool. Too much in one go

cheys03

Veteran
When I went for the first time in months a week ago, it was exhausting and much much harder than before but by far the biggest shock came from the increased drag of a full on lockdown beard. The strangest sensation

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Well done!! That was the hardest session, they’ll get easier from here as you well know.
I'll find out tomorrow!
Oh, that's for sure. :okay:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
When I went for the first time in months a week ago, it was exhausting and much much harder than before but by far the biggest shock came from the increased drag of a full on lockdown beard. The strangest sensation
You’re no Duncan Goodhew then.
It’s why all pro swimmers shave their body hair.
imagine how fast Mark Spitz would have been without his tash.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Me coming ashore near Dover last week having not swum the channel....

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My local pool (5 minutes walk from home) has been shut since lockdown and it was shut for 7 months for repairs (costing £450,000:ohmy:) about a year before lockdown. Needless to say i've given up on trying to do some swimming.:thumbsdown:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MrsF had a swim off Anglesey last week. Way too cold for me.

Our local pools, which MrsF is a member of the gym (and has pool use) aren't opening. Even though partly owned by the council, they have a charity status and can't secure the funding to open, so aren't. Only the gym is. They can't afford to run it with reduced numbers.

The caravan pool is bookings in advance and there is usually only 12 people in, of which you'll have at least 4-6 in the children's pool, so the larger pool has no more than about 6 people in it. Given they charge £2.50 an hour, the £30 an hour doesn't cover running costs, never mind the two attendants (it's subsidised by our van rental).

Top Bottom