First there was 3 in 1, then WD40....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Jack Brass

After several years using Finish Line I changed simply because my nearest bike shop stopped carrying it. A couple of alternatives left me rather disappointed (the worst being Halford's own brand of all-weather lubricant, which required almost daily cleaning and I'm certain reduced the life of the chain considerably. I'd have been better off coating the chain with Evo-Stik) until I tried Clean Ride and EPIC Ride from White Lightning. Not cheap but they've worked very well for me.

The Clean Ride doesn't stand up to any wet weather but does a grand job in the dry; I've pretty much switched to EPIC Ride all the time now, since I'm living in Manchester :stop:

Marin Maniac

accountantpete said:
I also use this. The chain does throw up a bit of oil initially but it's a simple task to wipe it off - if you are that fussy about appearances.

You are probably putting too much on then.

I don't get any splatter anywhere. Using finish line wet I would always get a bit of splatter on the chain stays even after wiping off any excess.

Alf

Guru
Marin Maniac said:
That is obviously a statement from someone who has never tried my suggestion.

I came to the end of my bottle of finish line wet and filled it up with the said 10/40 motor oil.

Guess what, my chain runs quieter than it ever has and picks up less dirt than the finish line ever did.

1 litre of motor oil will last you forever even if like me you religiously clean and lube your chain after ever ride.
I might try that. I bought a (US) gallon of Finish Line Cross Country about 15 years ago an it is nearly empty now. It is not all that good in the wet (although better than the dry lube) but it does clean off very easily. I just grip the chain with a rag while I run it round a few times with the pedals. I don't think I could be bothered with a chain lube that you had to use a liquid cleaner on. How is the motor oil when it comes to cleaning the chain?

Alf

Garz

Squat Member
For those that take their chain off for a soak, has anyone ever tried coca cola to clean it up?

Marin Maniac

Alf said:
I might try that. I bought a (US) gallon of Finish Line Cross Country about 15 years ago an it is nearly empty now. It is not all that good in the wet (although better than the dry lube) but it does clean off very easily. I just grip the chain with a rag while I run it round a few times with the pedals. I don't think I could be bothered with a chain lube that you had to use a liquid cleaner on. How is the motor oil when it comes to cleaning the chain?

Alf

The whenever I go to wipe and lube the chain (which is after every ride), I've been impressed with how clean the chain is before I wipe it. Also a good indication is how clean the cassette is, which relative to using finish line wet ride (cassette would be dirty in no time) remains clean during the week (I clesan the cassette every weekend when the bike gets washed).

In response to Steve's comment, I would say the motor oil lasts longer as to me I can always tell with Finish Line as the drivechain starts of quiet at the start of a ride and by the time I get home its noisy(er). With the motor oil its quiet all the time.

Davidc

Guru
Garz said:
For those that take their chain off for a soak, has anyone ever tried coca cola to clean it up?

I don't doubt it would clean it, but I'd be very dubious about soaking my teeth chain in phosphoric acid!

Jonathan M

Big Jack Brass said:
After several years using Finish Line I changed simply because my nearest bike shop stopped carrying it. A couple of alternatives left me rather disappointed (the worst being Halford's own brand of all-weather lubricant, which required almost daily cleaning and I'm certain reduced the life of the chain considerably. I'd have been better off coating the chain with Evo-Stik) until I tried Clean Ride and EPIC Ride from White Lightning. Not cheap but they've worked very well for me.

The Clean Ride doesn't stand up to any wet weather but does a grand job in the dry; I've pretty much switched to EPIC Ride all the time now, since I'm living in Manchester :blush:

I too made the mistake assuming that the Halfords dry lube would be as effective as Finish Line, and sadly it isn't. It is much thicker than FL dry lube, so doesn't come out of the bottle easily, and doesn't penetrate the places you want it to, like mech pivots etc. I'm only using it because I am way too tight fisted to buy another bottle until the Halfrauds one is empty!!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends on the bike...... oops.....

MTB I use the White Lightning Dry Wax stuff - the trails near me are dry and sandy (usually - or a mud bog).......... dry wax stops the sand sticking - dropper bottle

Road bikes - certainly like the Finish Line Pro Ceramic - it's wet, but once wiped off works very well, and I've been using this on the fixed.....it's a 'dropper bottle'

Fixed - has been White Lightening Wet (epic) stuff - really clean, works fantastically well in horrendous weather....will be the winter lube on the fixed(commuter).

One bit of advice....... ditch aerosols, so much waste. I've switched this year to the droppers....one drop on each roller is enough...yeh takes a little longer to apply, but you use just enough oil.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Regarding motor-oil I've contemplated using Magnatec Synthetic Diesel oil and wondered whether the magnetic lube particles would offer any benefit.
Regarding oild coming off the chain it does depend on how much you apply and wipe-off, you need very little oil on the outside of a chain.

garrilla

I've been happily using Dry Lubes with PTFE for a while, much less residue imho, which means less detrtius on the drive train. But If you clean regular enough it probably matters less anyway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fab Foodie said:
Regarding motor-oil I've contemplated using Magnatec Synthetic Diesel oil and wondered whether the magnetic lube particles would offer any benefit.
Regarding oild coming off the chain it does depend on how much you apply and wipe-off, you need very little oil on the outside of a chain.

The 'magnetic particles' thing is a down right lie, and I believe it's a part synthetic.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Jonathan M said:
I too made the mistake assuming that the Halfords dry lube would be as effective as Finish Line, and sadly it isn't. It is much thicker than FL dry lube, so doesn't come out of the bottle easily, and doesn't penetrate the places you want it to, like mech pivots etc. I'm only using it because I am way too tight fisted to buy another bottle until the Halfrauds one is empty!!!!
You mean the Halfords dry wax lube surely? Their dry lube is very thin. I use that on the hybrid for dry running. Great. I also use it on the MTB in hot weather.

The Cross Country wet stuff is very sticky, and collects dust and crap like there's no tomorrow. great stuff for wet off-roading.

Jonathan M

Cubist said:
You mean the Halfords dry wax lube surely? Their dry lube is very thin. I use that on the hybrid for dry running. Great. I also use it on the MTB in hot weather.

The Cross Country wet stuff is very sticky, and collects dust and crap like there's no tomorrow. great stuff for wet off-roading.

No, I tried FL wax a few years ago and din't like it, found the whole drivetrain needed to be spotless & free of other lubes before applying it, otherwise it turned into a sticky mess. The Halfrauds lube I've got is just labelled up as a dry lube, no mention of wax whatsoever.

Top Bottom