First there was 3 in 1, then WD40....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twanger

Über Member
...which we don't use anymore, it seems. Now there are wet lubes, dry lubes, ceramic lubes, and about thirty seven others.

Which one do I want for a bike I commute on?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
For a bike you use in all conditions, I personally favour Finish Line Wet Lube. Sticks to a chain like doggy doings to a blanket!

Marin Maniac

Buy yourself some decent synthetic motor oil like Mobile one 10/40. £9ish for a litre and your drive chain will have never sounded so quiet.

gavintc

Guru
Marin Maniac said:
Buy yourself some decent synthetic motor oil like Mobile one 10/40. £9ish for a litre and your drive chain will have never sounded so quiet.

And your bike will be nicely grungely oily coloured from the oil flung from the chain.

A small bottle of the bike oils last ages and is hardly a significant expense.

Marin Maniac

That is obviously a statement from someone who has never tried my suggestion.

I came to the end of my bottle of finish line wet and filled it up with the said 10/40 motor oil.

Guess what, my chain runs quieter than it ever has and picks up less dirt than the finish line ever did.

1 litre of motor oil will last you forever even if like me you religiously clean and lube your chain after ever ride.

Stereo

Uncle Mort said:
Which one do you mean?

Not sure, so many too choose from!

If I want to maintain my bike, what exactly do I need? Just this Finish line stuff everyone talks about?

Seamab

If i've been out in wet i use a rag with WD40 on the chain to wipe the chain and stop it rusting - doesn't seem to do any harm.
Apart from that i use some Prolink chain lube applied sparingly - i've had the little bottle for 3 years and there's still plenty left.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Marin Maniac said:
That is obviously a statement from someone who has never tried my suggestion.

I came to the end of my bottle of finish line wet and filled it up with the said 10/40 motor oil.

Guess what, my chain runs quieter than it ever has and picks up less dirt than the finish line ever did.

1 litre of motor oil will last you forever even if like me you religiously clean and lube your chain after ever ride.

Interesting, my first reaction was to agree with Gavin (he beat me to it) but having read your reply...I may give it a go.

You would just assume that Motor lube is more liquid than cycle lube and would fly all over the place (legs, frame brakes).

but if you say it dosen't then i may try it out too..

Not sure why it's now "illegal" to use WD40, I used it on every bike, motor bike, car and "metal object that needed lubing", for my entire childhood/yoof with no poor side effects.

when teflon came out it seemed to just smell different, now wet or dry lube has a "new" improved smell, but still looks an awful lot like lube.

My workshop now smells better than my bathroom!!

ho hum

Marin Maniac

Just make sure you get a decent synthetic brand oil like Mobil 1 or Castrol.

I'm actually using Fuchs 10/40 which was left over from my car's last service. I was sceptical at first but will never use bike lube again.

The finish line wet I had went ever where and produced a lot of 'spider webbing', which the motor oil doesn't.

Granted the motor oil has a 'motor oil smell' about it, but you would have to go and sniff the chain to notice it and it's unlikely you or any of your club mates are going to sniff each others chains!

I'd be interested to know how my drivechain will sound and perform with a slightly higher viscosity oil say 15/40, but its going to be a long time before my current stash runs out and I get to find out!

Plax

Guru
I used finish line wet lube which was great, now I have finish line pro ceramic stuff which is also great and seems to be lasting a lot longer.
For everything else (gear cables etc) I use GT-85 (of whatever number it is).

Marin Maniac said:

I also use this. The chain does throw up a bit of oil initially but it's a simple task to wipe it off - if you are that fussy about appearances.

Top Bottom