First time carbon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Topghia

Hi as the title suggests in thinking of taking the plunge and buying a carbon framed bike for the first time. To keep the cost sensible in looking at ribble, planet x, etc. I'm looking for a road bike that's a bit of an all rounder, not too racy as my old bones don't cope well with that style of ride position so something with more relaxed Sportive geometry. Any thoughts? Opinions? Thanks Gary.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Look at Cx bikes, Adventure bikes and Gravel bikes.

They keep changing their names but those types of bikes have a more relaxed, less racey geometry than the "racing" bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Gran Fondo is a good shout. Been around a while too, usually goes for around £900 with 105 groupset

Given your location, Planet X seems worth a look

Check out the Dolan Etape too

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Was this the build yourself option
Have a pox carbon Ultegra cost£1000 great bike

I think it excluded special build (it yourself) bikes, but feel free to check as they've had some cracking deals on them of late.

gbb

Legendary Member
Assuming it's the same ish geometry, the Ribble Sportive Racing ?. I have a New Sportive Racing...I say new, that's the model but it's an old model. Done me well, found it more comfortable than my Bianchi C2C, very stiff, responsive and i can stay on the drops if I want to, something I found uncomfortable on previous bikes.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
PlanetX RT-58 is a nice ride, I think the RT-80 is it's replacement. I have the Ultegra version which I picked up on sale last year for silly money, covered 2500 miles on it so far, all very nice.

OP
OP
T

Topghia

Thanks for all the replies, I do like the look of the grand fondo, I've heard mixed reviews on ribbles customer service though, anybody had a bad experience? Popping over to planet x is on my to do list during the Christmas break, obviously being on my doorstep it would be daft not too. Do ribble actually have a showroom? As for giant, we have a dedicated giant shop here in Sheffield too so I will pay them a visit also.

Big Andy

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies, I do like the look of the grand fondo, I've heard mixed reviews on ribbles customer service though, anybody had a bad experience? Popping over to planet x is on my to do list during the Christmas break, obviously being on my doorstep it would be daft not too. Do ribble actually have a showroom? As for giant, we have a dedicated giant shop here in Sheffield too so I will pay them a visit also.
I glt my Defy Advanced from the Giant shop in Sheffield. Excellent service from them.

Top Bottom