1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time carbon.

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Topghia, 25 Dec 2016.

1. Topghia

Topghia Member

Hi as the title suggests in thinking of taking the plunge and buying a carbon framed bike for the first time. To keep the cost sensible in looking at ribble, planet x, etc. I'm looking for a road bike that's a bit of an all rounder, not too racy as my old bones don't cope well with that style of ride position so something with more relaxed Sportive geometry. Any thoughts? Opinions? Thanks Gary.

2. Look at Cx bikes, Adventure bikes and Gravel bikes.

They keep changing their names but those types of bikes have a more relaxed, less racey geometry than the "racing" bikes.

3. I have 2 Ribbles (amongst other bikes), the Gran Fondo is almost 2" higher at the front end, than my 'blue winter/audax'!

It's meant to be an all dayer, for the added comfort, although I've not really ridden it enough to vouch for that
    They also offer the 'Sportive 365', almost the same geometry, but with mudguard clearance

cyberknight likes this.
  4. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

The Gran Fondo is a good shout. Been around a while too, usually goes for around £900 with 105 groupset

Given your location, Planet X seems worth a look

Check out the Dolan Etape too

5. dim

dim Guest

Giant Defy ....

mrbikerboy73 likes this.
  6. True enough!

@Topghia, get yourself, over to the Magma complex, as that's where the Planet X shop is, or if you're to the north of Sheffield, there's also one at Worsborugh

7. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Planet X sent a promo email round earlier offering 20% off nearly everything for today only, using the code PLANETXMAS16

Lilliburlero likes this.
  8. pawl

pawl Über Member

Was this the build yourself option
    Have a pox carbon Ultegra cost£1000 great bike

9. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

I think it excluded special build (it yourself) bikes, but feel free to check as they've had some cracking deals on them of late.

10. gbb

gbb Guru

Assuming it's the same ish geometry, the Ribble Sportive Racing ?. I have a New Sportive Racing...I say new, that's the model but it's an old model. Done me well, found it more comfortable than my Bianchi C2C, very stiff, responsive and i can stay on the drops if I want to, something I found uncomfortable on previous bikes.

11. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member

I would second that.

12. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One.....

PlanetX RT-58 is a nice ride, I think the RT-80 is it's replacement. I have the Ultegra version which I picked up on sale last year for silly money, covered 2500 miles on it so far, all very nice.

13. Topghia

Topghia Member

Thanks for all the replies, I do like the look of the grand fondo, I've heard mixed reviews on ribbles customer service though, anybody had a bad experience? Popping over to planet x is on my to do list during the Christmas break, obviously being on my doorstep it would be daft not too. Do ribble actually have a showroom? As for giant, we have a dedicated giant shop here in Sheffield too so I will pay them a visit also.

14. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Ribble, Preston and Cardiff
    Dolan, Preston way too

15. Big Andy

Big Andy Senior Member

I glt my Defy Advanced from the Giant shop in Sheffield. Excellent service from them.