First time cycling a serious distance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robster

I live in Bristol and work in Berkeley, Gloucestershire. I take my bike on the train and cycle to work from Cam & Dursley (about 8 miles)

But yesterday I decided to cycle all the way home, which is 20 miles, mostly on the A38. It wasn't too bad apart from a bit of a headwind and one killer hill just after the turnoff for Oldbury. I was spurred on by my amusement at the fact that for the last 5 or so miles (from a bit north of Almondsbury) I was going faster than the rest of the traffic, I must have passed at least 100 cars. I know the traffic around bristol is bad but this was rediculous. Why do people but themselves through that every day?

Well done, sounds like a good ride. Soon 20 miles won't seem like a big deal at all.

benjus

That must be a nice ride... I grew up in the area (Uley) and still miss it now, 20 years after moving away. There's some beautiful country around there.

domtyler

Über Member
Sounds like you'll be doing that ride on a regular basis from now on!

My ex is from Dursley, nice part of the world down there!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There is no greater feeling then filtering past rows & rows of cars at a standstill..sometimes seeing the same ones day after day.

andyfromotley

Nice one robster. I too just started going 'all the way' (23) and i really like it, sit there in idle moments doing exponetial mileage calculations, and feeling smug.
Start waving at the motorists, it really p1sses em off. Dunno why.
andy

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I tried my commute today to see if I could do it during the week. 20 miles (I expected 24) took me 2:15. Having to walk through Barking market, walking over a bridge across the A406 and waiting for some bus lane lights to change (I am just not heavy enough) didn't help. I will try again with a slight change in route.
Just the 2 idiots.
One was partly my fault as I left it too late to get into the correct lane.
Second one in Strand. Girl in front of me had to pull round a van parked in the bus lane. Idiot in a Merc hooted and the speed past her :tongue:. I past him at the next lights and he tried the same to me when I had to pull out round a taxi. I have it on film, just, but as you can't see the jaunty angle his wing mirror is as he pulls away from me I can't be bothered to post it :ohmy:.

Jaded

That route is quite nice - despite what people non-cyclists think of the A38. It is wide and had good sightlines. The biggest downside is when the wind is coming in off the Severn and you have a nasty headwind. You can't really avoid that hill, I know it well!

You can take a circuitous route through Oldbury, almost traffic free and more visually pleasing, however you still have a hill to climb to get back up to the A38.

Top Bottom