First time on road shoes with cleats..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiky Simon

Regular
if in doubt i twist my foot so i feel it clip out then leave it there so if i have to stop i just have to lift it off and if i dont then just push down and it clips in

this is what I do, too, when the situation looks a bit dodgy (traffic snarl-ups, or being on a cycle path with people walking dogs up ahead!).

lejogger

Guru
Pick one foot that you unclip at every occasion and stick with it. I go with the left because it's usually comfortable to rest it on a kerb if required etc. Then there's no doubt in your mind approaching the junction regarding what exactly you're going to do and there's less likely to be panic.

It is also key for your balance. There's nothing worse than arriving at the lights with a left foot unclipped, then realising that your weight's on the right and you have to perform an emergency unclip with the other foot while your left isn't secure in the pedal.

It will soon become second nature though. FWIW, unclipping is a very rare issue for me, but I still have occasional issues getting clipped in, especially when trying to take off from a junction quickly or when carrying a lot of weight on the bike. The key to this is to just take your time. You're never holding anyone up as much as you think you are.

Good luck :thumbsup:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I too have a pair of R540's and find them brilliant. On Monday I rode into Leicester and was worried that I'd have problems in the city clipping and unclipping frequently at lights and junctions etc. But no problem. No Timber moments.
I have even improved my track stands when coming up to junctions but ready to unclip if it's looking busy.
My only clipless moment came with SPD's on MTB when I'd lost a cleat bolt. 1 bolt missing means the cleat stays still when you twist your foot and stays attached to the pedal. I now use thread-lock on MTB shoes.

RoyPSB

Über Member
Been clipless for about 16 months now. No 'moments' for over a year until the other day. Just came to a halt at a red light and unclipped left foot as usual but for some reason my balance was slightly out and I went over on the right.

Plenty of cars about. One nice lady stopped to ask if I was okay - "yes thanks, mechanical" I replied while fiddling with the bike! Very embarrassing. Guess I still need to concentrate!

Spiky Simon

Regular
My only clipless moment came with SPD's on MTB when I'd lost a cleat bolt. 1 bolt missing means the cleat stays still when you twist your foot and stays attached to the pedal. I now use thread-lock on MTB shoes.

This has happened to me too! top tip: if it suddenly gets harder to unclip one side, check you cleat bolts and make sure they're tight. As the bolts come loose you won't be able to twist the cleat as well.

Top Bottom