First time over 30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

I finally managed to crack 30mph on the fixie.

I'm using 48x18 so thats 'only' a cadence of 148, so not a major achievement for most but seeing as it's taken me months i'm rather chuffed.

Its not spinning my legs quick enough that the trouble, it's having the nerve to go downhill that quickly while pedalling that quick.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
I've managed 31 on the flat on 44x16...was trying to over take one of my colleagues in a marked car at the time

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Congrats! I have no idea my top speed, maybe I need a computer for fun-times? B)

I too suffer the nerve issue too if im honest, I brick it and back out.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My first yesterday was pulling my foot out of the pedal while doing over 30.

I was wearing a different pair of shoes to my usual ones, different amount of cleat wear.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, the attached foot kept going round nicely.

It's not just nerve for me, my legs won't go faster than about 150 rpm.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
palinurus said:
It's not just nerve for me, my legs won't go faster than about 150 rpm.

Find a big hill and they will. I have got to 34.5 mph of a 48 x 16 set up and it was starting to get decidedly uncomfortable :becool:

BigSteev

Not given it a go since I refurbished mine and it's now got a higher 44x15 set up (was 42x16). Normally used to feel spun out (no clips or straps) at around 24-25mph but did hit 28.5 once. Should be able to get past 30 now if I can find a suitable stretch of road.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
BigSteev said:
Not given it a go since I refurbished mine and it's now got a higher 44x15 set up (was 42x16). Normally used to feel spun out (no clips or straps) at around 24-25mph but did hit 28.5 once. Should be able to get past 30 now if I can find a suitable stretch of road.

Steve, how do you find fixed with no attachment to the pedals? Do you need to change your riding style or is it just business as usual?

longers

Legendary Member
I'm not Steve but have had on a pair of spds with platforms on one side as part of a creak identifying process this week and have been at around 20mph with them and it's a very different feeling to what I'm used to. Me no likey.

I'd really not like to go quicker without being attached.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
longers said:
I'm not Steve but have had on a pair of spds with platforms on one side as part of a creak identifying process this week and have been at around 20mph with them and it's a very different feeling to what I'm used to. Me no likey.

I'd really not like to go quicker without being attached.

Ah, but Big Steev rides flat pedals most of the time, as far as I know, just hadn't realised he did it with fixed as well. I've got some velcro foot straps if I need them anyway.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have made thirty five using 44x17 on 700cx28 tyres and clips and straps, not sure if I would want to go a great deal faster.

Top Bottom