First time over 30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Now I read back and see my top speed previously, 24-25mph is now like only 2-3mph over my cruising speed and far below my top speed ability. Ive improved a lot in just a few short months.

My top speed is now 31mph on the flat, since then I've added tri bars, low profile base bars, a brake and set bike up for TT'ing (so its noticably faster for a given effort). But due to a crash, a running injury and a trip away Ive not really had much chance to try and top my 31mph.

Up until yesterday my top speed was 40.6mph. Out on the club ride [and I was warned about this hill] I hit 44.16 at which point my muscles obviously went into an anaerobic state and I lost feeling in my legs, in fact it was all I could do to stay on the bike. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had lost control, all I know was that I was on the very edge of something fairly scary.
I looked at a cadence calculator this morning and it says I was doing 198rpm [going to look for another that tells me it was 200+]. I'm happy with that though, but will not be attempting that again any time soon, still not bad for someone with long legs and 175 cranks.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
totallyfixed said:
in fact it was all I could do to stay on the bike. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had lost control, all I know was that I was on the very edge of something fairly scary..

Hi Steve

Aah yes I recall a sensation very similar to that when I got to in the mid 30's. Not something I will be rushing to do again :rolleyes::sad:

I trust both you and Helen are well

longers

Legendary Member
I've been aiming for 40mph and then I'll stop trying.

39.56 mph this morning :laugh:

44 is lunacy! :sad:

robin IX

Managed to get a computer to confirm my thoughts.
30.8 mph on 44x17 (about 68 inches I think)
That's me, pretty much as fast a I can pedal, maybe just need to find a big hill.

Top Bottom