first time tour - on a budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beccam

hi!

im a uni student and we have a field week in Biarritz at the start of October so a few of us thought it might be a good idea to cycle from Calais to Biarritz (approx 650 miles). The only trouble is that none of us have done this before, dont have a bike or any kit except camping stuff and will be restricted by budget. We were thinking of taking it relatively easy and spreading the trip over 2.5-3weeks in order to soak up the scenery and incase anything goes wrong. If anyone has any advice (especially regarding costs!), can reccomend any books/resources or can just point us in the right direction it would be much appreciated :smile:

andym

Über Member
Have a look around on this forum. You'll find lots of information on costs of camping etc in France, as well as budget/entry-level bikes (not to mention the regulations on high-viz gilets in full geeky detail).

50-miles a day would be a reasonable target for average daily mileage allowing for rest days and site-seeing.

One option you might want to consider is cycling along the voies vertes along the coast of the Vendée/Gironde. You could possibly combine this with going down the Loire Valley from Orléans. Possibly not the most interesting option cycling wise but the a good one if you like beaches. Check out:

http://www.voiesvertes.com/

Crankarm

Guru
Sounds like budget is a real factor for you being students so I would advise you go by train - Eurostar and then TGV to Biarritz. I've done this journey (with my Brompton) and it is pretty good. It would certainly work out a lot cheaper than cycling, camping costs and food even if they are quite low. If you currently have no cycling kit or bikes you will have to purchase this as well. SNCF do good deals on fares for students. You might need an ISIC card. Sorry for not pushing cycling but in this instance I think train is the best option. The TGV is how trains would have been had SNCF been able to continue building rather than stopping at the channel tunnel. You could of course buy a Brompton to take with you :smile:. In France you can also hire bikes at stations.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Crankarm said:
Sounds like budget is a real factor for you being students so I would advise you go by train - Eurostar and then TGV to Biarritz. I've done this journey (with my Brompton) and it is pretty good. It would certainly work out a lot cheaper than cycling, camping costs and food even if they are quite low. If you currently have no cycling kit or bikes you will have to purchase this as well. SNCF do good deals on fares for students. You might need an ISIC card. Sorry for not pushing cycling but in this instance I think train is the best option. The TGV is how trains would have been had SNCF been able to continue building rather than stopping at the channel tunnel. You could of course buy a Brompton to take with you :smile:. In France you can also hire bikes at stations.

A train ride is not as much fun as a two week tour. I'd rather cycle 650 miles over three weeks than do it in a day.

The train is the best option if time and cost is of the essence.

Cycle camping is the best option for adventure.

The keep prices down:

Use municipal camp sites they are often a lot cheaper than family owned and commercial sites.

Look at purchasing second hand bikes via the CTC and cycle chat forums - possibly Ebay too.

If you have enough to buy new than the Raleigh Royale is a bargain:

£399

£389

EBC also have decent specced tourers:
£499

You then only have to buy panniers (Halfords have cheap ones - mine have lasted five years and still going strong)

Alcohol is cheaper bought from supermarkets rather than bars and cafes.

Make sure that you car enough food to see you through Sunday and Monday - shops are often shut on these days though you might be lucky with Mondays in some towns and villages.

Self catering is cheaper than eating out. Pasta or cous cous based meals keep costs down and supply plenty of carbs for energy.

Crankarm

Guru
Don't under estimate the TGV. If you've not been on it you really should. If the OP's budget is tight then this is the most cost effective option. Travel on French trains is so much more enjoyable than the UK cattle wagons.

Decathlon (French outdoor shop) do good cheap bikes, accessories and outdoot stuff including camping stuff. There are a few in UK there is pretty much one in every large French town.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/triban-trail-7-34962932/

The weather at the end of september/october in France going down the west coast to the SW can be very autumnal, rain, storms and strong winds. Not trying to put you off but making you aware. Also first/second week in september many campsite owners and sites shut up even the cheap ones as visitors have fallen away and they want a break themselves. Might be worth selecting a few campsites and seeing when they are open until even the municipal ones. I worked on French campsites for 2 years. The municipal campsite in Ascain just inland from Saint Jean de Luz next to the Spanish border is pretty nice and cheap. 2 Euro a night for tent and bike. Also the municipal site in Saint Jean de Pied Port about 3.80 Euro a night FWIW.

andym

Über Member
beccam said:
thanks for that andym really appreciate the push in the right direction-and the vois vertes looks quite cool!

You're welcome, but I think I read someone on here complaining about the narrowness of the paths and the nudists (I don't think the two were connected but you never know).

Oh and the figure of 50 miles a day was based on the assumption that you don't spend all day watching Countdown and all evening in the union bar :smile:

OP
OP
B

beccam

thakyou everyone this is a massive help!!! :rolleyes: i personally would like to cycle all the way there and explore but i will definately look into the trains because it will probs be much more cost effective - maybe there's an intermediate like get on the train a stop later and get off a stop earlier (if it works like that?!) It also depends on what the rest of the group want to do. Thanks for the info about the weather too - it really makes a difference to the trip!
a huge thank you again :sad:

p.s. no we dont spend all day in the SU watching countdown ;)!!!

andym

Über Member
Talking about the Student Union is there a club or society that might be able to help (eg with the loan of camping equipment). Could you all arrange to join the Avenger Scouts?

hubbike

By a dirt cheap mountain bike that fits ok, add a rear rack and take as little stuff as possible. I would suggest it is better to go with very little stuff and if you really find you need something you didn't bring go and buy it in intermarche. If you are going somewhere hardcore kit matters. For france, whatever you've got lying about (or can beg, steall or borrow) will do fine.
Wild camp or sleep on beaches. shop in markets and haggle. cook on a stove or on a campfire.
Don't take the train. Go have an adventure.

PS don't buy beer with "Panache" written on it. Thats shandy!

andym

Über Member
hubbike said:
By a dirt cheap mountain bike that fits ok, add a rear rack and take as little stuff as possible. I would suggest it is better to go with very little stuff and if you really find you need something you didn't bring go and buy it in intermarche. If you are going somewhere hardcore kit matters.

Hmm, try dragging a bunch of unnecessarily heavy kit up a Corsican mountain. But as you're a group you have more flexibility than a single traveller as you can share stuff.

With the exchange rate the way it is don't rely on bargains in Intermarché. I'd think carefully about what you need (and there are plenty of cycle touring geeks who post their packing lists online), and beg and borrow as much as you can. After all with RPI in minus figures the government will be paying you interest on your student loans!

hubbike said:
Wild camp or sleep on beaches.

I was afraid someone would say that and I'd be obliged to get all grumpy. The Consérvatoire du Littoral has spent a lot of time and money over the years trying to protect France's beaches. The sand dunes are delicate habitats. If you do contemplate camping on beaches then please find out about No Trace Principles and practise them.

Cockney Scot

Sounds like you are planning an adventure.
Whilst kit and route are important you need to start getting some cycling practise in, 50 miles a day is a reasonable figure on the trip is a reasonable distance but you need to know you are in shape to manage that. Nothing worse than getting sadle sore after day one and not being able to continue.

Where abouts in The UK do you live?

Why instead of going Dover-Calais why not go from Portsmouth to Le Havre? Or maybe if you feel like abit of a voyage try Plymouth - Roscoff.

650miles sounds like a beast if you're not used to cycling. Going from Le Havre or Cherberg would cut out abit of cycling and allow you to explore the coast from the outset.

Incidently if you fancy a challenge, you could get a ferry to spain (Plymouth-Santander) and then cycle east then north into France across the pyrennees. Maybe then getting a ferry from France on the way back.

This way you'd get to visit the Spanish coastal resort of San Sebastian too. If you find that route abit short you could always take a detour and venture South and visit places like Burgos. There's also a couple of country parks to the south west of santander.

Brains

Legendary Member
andym said:
Talking about the Student Union is there a club or society that might be able to help (eg with the loan of camping equipment). Could you all arrange to join the Avenger Scouts?

As a student you would be too old for Explorer Scouts (19 max)

However a very good chance your Uni has a Network Scout Group (18-25 age group), they will have gear, wether they are prepared to loan it if you don't have a Scouting background is a different issue.

Other groups that would also have camping/cooking gear would be the Canoeists, the Cavers and the Mountaineers. However I'd guess the same 'loan' rules would apply

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
hubbike said:
By a dirt cheap mountain bike that fits ok, add a rear rack and take as little stuff as possible. I would suggest it is better to go with very little stuff and if you really find you need something you didn't bring go and buy it in intermarche. If you are going somewhere hardcore kit matters. For france, whatever you've got lying about (or can beg, steall or borrow) will do fine.
Wild camp or sleep on beaches. shop in markets and haggle. cook on a stove or on a campfire.
Don't take the train. Go have an adventure.

PS don't buy beer with "Panache" written on it. Thats shandy!

+1

I am using my work hack mtb with road tyres, panniers and a rack to do a 4 day tour at the end of the month.

You don't need all singing and dancing kit. I have an old Trangia stove, a light weight tent, mat and sleeping bag, will be carrying a few clothes and that's it. The rest is adventure.

Most of all have fun. There's no 'right way' to do it. Your tour will be unique to you, and memorable in years to come.

Or you can take the train.:biggrin:

Top Bottom