first time tour - on a budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sounds like a brilliant idea - For a first longish tour - down the coast to Biarritz is ideal – If going from Calais I would follow the coast south and west so that you can drop down onto the Loire to Nantes and down the coast –personally I would take the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen or St Malo and go straight for the coast north of Lorient. Fitness wise if you are young I would not worry about it too much – you will get fitter and faster as you go - Forget about trains unless the weather gets really rubbish - top of France to Biarritz along the coast will be dead easy over two to three weeks - can be done without too much effort from Brittany in one week - need to get basics -

bike does not need to be that good – just well maintained- (on my first tour at 15 years old my mate that came with me did it on a currys three speed – 50 miles a day across germany) – fairly standard second hand mountain bike with rear rack and panniers will do – Halfords panniers with some good plastic bags (Tescos rubble sacks) -share out the tent(s) between you and shove on top of rack - if its in your budget put some tough semi slicks on - go over bike before departing to make sure that everything works properly

tent - cheap dome tent from tescos, millets etc - weather along coast in October will generally be relatively warm interspersed with low pressure giving occasional periods of sustained rain - brand new cheap tent will cope if you are careful about where you pitch it - wicked view over the sea often turns into mega unsheltered position if wind gets up

Sleeping bag - again something cheap and cheerful -Tescos?- its not going to be very cold at that time of year – make sure its packed in a good plastic bag – cheap roll mat of the horrible bulky sort will be adequate – strap it on the back over the rack in a bin liner

Cooking – if you are on a budget cooking for your selves is the way to go - sort out what you like and are capable of cooking between yourselves before you go – and work out what you will need to do the deed – the weight can be spread between you – a trangia will do the job for a stove – myself I prefer a low gas stove – not expensive in the context of the whole – if gas then camping gaz is most easily found in france – pasta is an easy meal to cook and provides all the carbs you need – but after a week it starts to become a bit boring – shops in france have plenty of variety with fresh food

Wear whatever you think will be comfortable for cycling – but in my experience what stops me at the end of day is not that my legs are tired but the fatigue in the contact points – saddle, hands and feet – consider padded shorts – good solid footwear and cycling gloves. It is unlikely in October that you avoid rain so a waterproof coat, leggings and a hat are a good idea.

Finally in October you will find a lot of the coast is not actually shut but sometimes appears that way – good idea to research campsites if you are using them to find the ones that are open. As has been said before target the municipal sites – facilities are more than adequate and cheaper

Whatever the final outcome be it that you do it all the way by bike or a combination of trains and bike – enjoy it

(as an aside what course are you doing that has a field course in Biarritz – a cold two weeks at Malham Tarn in the snow at Easter was mine)

I was like you wanting to start cycling/touring but I have a strict budget to adhere too. I looked on ebay and found a bike, paid £40.00 and havent looked back since.

I will be touring france for the first time this year dont wait untill your 47 for the experience.

OP
OP
B

beccam

we've planned our route now so (hopefully) we'll be getting the portsmouth-st malo ferry, cut through brittany and down the coast to biarritz via bordeaux!need to check out camp sites and things now!
I've been looking at a ladies dawes kalahari bike (2004) on ebay thats currently at £67 - although the price will inevitably increase towards the end. I heard that dawes bikes were pretty good and this one looks practically new.
between us i think we've got camping gear sorted, and thanks for the advice on kit -i will definately be getting some padded cycling shorts ;)!!

im studying applied marine sports science (so water sports!) our course and the surf science and technology course get to go to biarritz and do lots of academic things?! no seriously though we do have to do work!

If you're going to spend money on anything then make it a decent pair of cycling shorts and some assos chamois cream (about 12 quid).

Look at minx-girl.com; girlsruntoo.com or wiggle women's section. Northwave shorts tend to be cheap and effective!

JE James cycles in sheffield (google them) sometimes sell job lots of Nike women's shorts ridiculously cheap (like 7 quid a pair) and they are excellent, but buy one size bigger than you normally take because they come up small.

You can have all the heavy kit in the world and it will be OK but if your ass is killing you then you'll be completely miserable.

Surf-Last time I was in Biaritz there was some sort of european surfing competion on - the waves were nearly 6" high with 100m gaps between them - quite incongrous seeing these highly skilled surfers skimming in on the tiny waves

hubbike

andym said:
Hmm, try dragging a bunch of unnecessarily heavy kit up a Corsican mountain. But as you're a group you have more flexibility than a single traveller as you can share stuff.

Carrying unnecessary stuff was what I was attempting to advise you against. Pack the bear minimum, then take half of it out and leave it behind. You won't miss it. and if you do you will (still) find shops in france no more expensive than here.

More pertinent for a student is probably unnecessarily expensive kit where 70% of the price is for a respected brand name. but really summertime in france does not have to require very much anyway.

I take it on trust that the OP has common sense, but andym is quite right about camping carefully, leaving behind no vandalism, litter, smouldering fires, human waste etc. Sleeping on beaches in hot weather doesn't require the tent, just sleeping bag straight on the sand causing negligable disturbance to wildlife.

Another thing I enjoy on the beach (a popular past time for the french too) is collecting fresh shellfish for dinner.

I would stay away from buying camping gear from high street stores. They are not suited for touring, big poles and heavy. You need something nice, light and compact.

I've recently bought one of these things.
http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/gelert-solo-tent-p-1680.html
for £25. It's very light at only 1.5kg but if you're travelling together you may want to get a 2 person tent instead. I believe there is a similar cheap light gelert 2 person tent.

Get a cheap light camping airbed and mummy sleeping bag.

Cockney Scot

I would agree 100% with Riverman, I tried buying equipment from the high Street big name stores and quickly discovered I would need 2 trailers to transport it. The sleeping bag was only 2 seasons and was twice the size when compressed of the one I eventualy got from Kathmandu and that was a 4 season bag. I was lucky i was able to return the items and got a full refund. Otherwise I would have been over £100 out of pocket and still looking for quality kit
Surf the web there are plenty of bargains out there to found which should be suitable.
I wouldnt recomend scrimping to much on the sleeping bag or mat, nothing worse than a bad nights sleep.
As I said in my earlier post start getting some training in advance of the trip, that way you will be able to enjoy the trip and the scenery. i well remember my first cycle after a 7 year break, I went 15 miles and thought i had done great, then the 15 miles back was sheer agony as my thighs were aching and my bum felt like it was on fire due to rubbing on the seat. Took over a week to recover. I learned from that to build up slowly. Now 3 months later i am averaging 100 miles over the weekend (relitivly) pain free.

andym

Über Member
hubbike said:
Carrying unnecessary stuff was what I was attempting to advise you against.

Erm, my post said unnecessarily heavy stuff.

paulrw

I went a similar route last June. It was my first time on a bike for 40 years apart from a couple of 20 mile practices. I found a route which was relatively flat and traffic free (mostly) and averaged around 60 to 70 miles per day camping as I went along. From St Malo take the Navette (small boat-about 3 euros-starts running about 930am) across the river Rance to Dinard. From there follow the Velo Verte to Dinan,then follow the river on the towpath. Come off the river at Evran and head for . St meen de la grande where there is a municiple site charging 2 euros.That would be just under 50 miles. From there you have a choice of routes to get across the Loire. Head for Nantes or St Nazaire. As I was heading for the coast I went to St Nazaire which then involved crossing a very busy bridge over the estuary,not very nice,fairly dangeroux but relatively short-less than a mile. Once across you can amble down the coast where there are many campsites (check seasonal openings) If you go to Royen you can cross the estuary to Point de la Grave(4 Euros) and from there the terrain is all bike path or quiet road to Bordeaux completely flat,monotonously so,even for me.

Top Bottom