First time...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
...cycling in hailstones last night, forgot how much they hurt when they hit your face, thankfully i was only 0.5miles away from home :bicycle:

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
I was almost caught out in the great Munich hailstorm of '84. There were hailstones the size of my fist. I'm guessing they would have stung a bit.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've ridden in pretty much any kind of weather that is thrown at England. And without a doubt hailstones is the worst. that stuff can fracking hurt!

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I've ridden in pretty much any kind of weather that is thrown at England. And without a doubt hailstones is the worst. that stuff can fracking hurt!

Defo, typical that it was the one day that i only wore a baselayer and cycling jersey (ss)

Jdratcliffe

got caught in them crossing London bridge then 2miles down the road hit pothole really hard ( pothole or a bus) and back wheel flat in secs though great pulled over to change it under a pubs awning and then it got heavier! :-( after changing it and getting freezing cold and soaked though gave up on the remaining 20miles and pootled back to London bridge for a train home.

freewheelwilly

I remember coming down the Kirkstone pass at a rate of knots when all of a sudden it started to hail. I still cant decide what was more painful - the hailstones on my face or the dry stone wall i had an altercation with...

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Hailstones = find a bridge or bus shelter and hide under it until it stops. It never hails for more than 5 minutes.

Trust me i looked for shelter :bicycle:

You get used to them over the winter. One day cycling in, the shower stayed with me all the way to work, damned painful on the face when it was blowing sideways and my head was ringing from the clatter on my helmet.

Top Bottom