First tour (but a tiny one) - Tour Report added

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
DAY THREE

We rose, bright and early, and wandered down to breakfast. There were 6 other people staying in the farm house. It seems that there had been some sort of noise related problem last night, but 'L' and I had been fast asleep. The other people at breakfast inluded a couple who were spending a few days fishing around the area, and another who were visiting Chester Zoo with the idea of using it for their wedding venue ! We had a lovely breakfast, and were soon gliding through the silent lanes, which had become rather more "lumpy", much to 'L's distaste. We climbed and descended steadily, the weather still a heavy, leaden grey, but the rain stayed away, much to our joy.

At about 11am we arrived at the Cheshire Ice Cream farm in Tattenhall. We looked around and sampled the home made ice-cream before pedalling back into Tattenhall village for lunch. We then returned to the farm to watch the cows being milked - not very exciting really, it was a very restricted view. We did get to see a vet with his arm buried up to his shoulder in a cows behind though, which caused some amusement ;) Once this excitement was over, we remounted our trusty steeds and turned our heads towards Chester, and the end of the journey.

We arrived at the farm early, so put the bikes back in the car, and watched the harvesters at work in a nearby field. The cat reappeared, welcoming us back after our epic trip, and received another scratch behind the ears. We were soon on our way home, it seemed slightly odd to be whizzing along the motorway at 70mph rather than pottering around at 7mph, but we were both tired, and the call of a long bath was dragging us home...

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Well, that is it - I will add photos and put it on crazyguyonabike in the next couple of days

Thanks

Andrew

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It sounds as if you gauged "L"'s cycling stamina about right... it inspires me to maybe give it a go next year with one of mine... probably the youngest would be the keanest.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I just stumbled on your journal on crazyguy. Sounds absolutely fantastic. I don't think distance and speed matter remotely as much as spending some time with your daughter, outside, cycling and eating ice cream. I really hope you both enjoyed it...sounds like you did. Tell Lucia I don't like going fast down hills either...I don't think it's important.

Really really pleased you had a successful trip. Hope you can persuade Lucia to do it again!!

Does she have a decent bike for hills? It was buying a nice bike that opened my eyes to the fun that is climbing!!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Cathryn said:
Does she have a decent bike for hills? It was buying a nice bike that opened my eyes to the fun that is climbing!!

I defy anyone to find the climb from Machynlleth to Llanidloes over the mountain road fun :biggrin:

It's a fantastic view from the top but the ends really don't justify the means in this instance :smile:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
There are some hills that will never be fun! But there's always triumph at the top.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Cathryn said:
I just stumbled on your journal on crazyguy. Sounds absolutely fantastic. I don't think distance and speed matter remotely as much as spending some time with your daughter, outside, cycling and eating ice cream. I really hope you both enjoyed it...sounds like you did. Tell Lucia I don't like going fast down hills either...I don't think it's important.

Really really pleased you had a successful trip. Hope you can persuade Lucia to do it again!!

Thank you :biggrin:

We had a lovely time, even though the phase "Cheshire Plain" has entered into the catalogue of lies that will forever live with her :smile: She stuggled a little with the hills, but it was more a lack of confidence than a lack of ability, by the third day she was climbing gradients that she would never have even tried on day one.

She is the proud owner of an Beinn Islabike, so I don't think that the machine was a limiting factor.

Thank you again

Andrew

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Cathryn said:
Heard nothing but good about Isla bikes so no...just small legs and big hills then.

Not all that big, just steeper than we had thought, but we didn't need to walk once, we heaved ourselves over all of them with pure pedalling pain :biggrin:

Ergle

Über Member
Thanks for you report, I enjoyed reading it. I'm sure your daughter will never forget the trip. I lived in Cheshire as a boy and agree it is far from flat in places!!

Top Bottom