First tour (but a tiny one) - Tour Report added

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Well, my daughter and I are off for our first cycle tour together. We are staying in a hotel and a farmhouse B&B. It is a mini-tour of Cheshire, organised by these nice people. We are off on Tuesday, back home on Thursday. It is very easy, max of twenty miles per day, so lots of ice-cream and sightseeing. I would put it on crazyguyonabike, but I think it is a little too small and short for such august company that you find there :tongue:

Anyway, time to plan what we need to take. The company will transport any luggage to our hotel/B&B, so we should only need to carry a minimum with us

Andrew

p.s. The lbs has some no-name panniers for £19.99, would these be OK if everything was also wrapped in plastic bags, or should I get a better brand ? (Keeping in mind that my daughter may never want to do this again after spending three days on a bike with only her Dad to talk to :biggrin:)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Plastic is waterproof, so yes it would work and should she develop an interest of her own in touring, then a set of "proper" panniers becomes the perfect future Christmas present.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
cisamcgu said:
p.s. The lbs has some no-name panniers for £19.99, would these be OK if everything was also wrapped in plastic bags, or should I get a better brand ? (Keeping in mind that my daughter may never want to do this again after spending three days on a bike with only her Dad to talk to ;))

You might find that the ones on offer at Lidl tomorrow are cheaper.....

I, like a lot of other pannier users, routinely line their panniers with plastic bags irrespective of brand of pannier (except Ortleibs I suppose)

jay clock

Massive member
Good luck! I would recommend you DO put it on CGOAB. There is no snobbery about people starting out, and a lot of respect to those getting kids into cycling (I assume your daughter is a youngster!)

A report back would be great in any event.

The Bag For Life type of plastic bags are great to slip in pannier. Don't overdo it for packing, you should not need much. One tip - I always keep odd old t shirts, cycling shorts etc. That way the first day I can simply chuck them out at the end of the day!

Happy cycling

vernon said:
You might find that the ones on offer at Lidl tomorrow are cheaper.....

I, like a lot of other pannier users, routinely line their panniers with plastic bags irrespective of brand of pannier (except Ortleibs I suppose)

Even Ortliebs have a hole in the top!

If you need to get something out in the pouring rain then water will get in when you open the lid.

I always sub-pack my gear into plastic bags for this reason,

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Cunobelin said:
Even Ortliebs have a hole in the top!

If you need to get something out in the pouring rain then water will get in when you open the lid.

I always sub-pack my gear into plastic bags for this reason,

I use Ortliebs without inner bags and if it's raining when I want to get something out, I just lean over them and so use my body as a shield.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Well, we are back, and we had a great time. I will type out a quick review, but BigTallFatBloke's report has somewhat overshadowed our tiny tour. Still, great oaks from little acorns and all that :ohmy:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Welcome back and glad it all went well.

I will type out a quick review, but BigTallFatBloke's report has somewhat overshadowed our tiny tour
You should have seen his first tour report though ;) :ohmy:

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
DAY ONE

Well, today is the day; My daughter (henceforth known as "L"), and I start our epic (well, not epic so much as tiny) tour of Cheshire. The plan is to drive to just South of Chester, near Stamford Mill, park the car in a farm yard, and then spend three happy days pootling around the quiet lanes of rural Cheshire.

I had bought some cheap panniers from Lidl (£15 - a bargain I thought) and strapped them to my trusty Dawes Horizon. We were having a supported tour, since this would be our first attempt, and therefore our main luggage would be moved from one night to the next by these nice people http://www.byways-breaks.co.uk/ . So into the panniers went snacks, locks, waterproofs and other assorted neccessities, adding quite a bit of weight, but nothing too frightening. We packed the bicycles into the back of the car, and at about 09:30am, drove down the M53.........

We arrived in plenty of time at the farm, and parked the car and unloaded the bicycles, putting the panniers back on. At this point it became apparent that the velcro and strapping method of attaching the panniers that Lidl employ is perhaps not the most convenient, since it takes quite a bit of grunting and cursing, as well as rather a lot of manual dexterity. Never mind, I'm sure I will get used to it. We parked the bikes up against the wall and waited for Carolyn from ByWays to turn up.

A couple of minutes after 11:00am, Carolyn arrived, very friendly and efficient, she took our luggage, gave us a printed weather forecast, wished us well, and disappeared. The farm cat turned up, and curled around our legs, looking for food or attention. It got a quick scratch behind the ears, then we pointed our bikes down the track out of the farm, took a breath, and began to pedal - our adventure had begun.

Two minutes later we stopped, the first of many, many stops that we would take during the day. We had the route marked out on an Ordinace Survey map, and also described on a piece of A4 paper. Places of interest and places to eat where also marked - the problem was that I only had my panniers to store these most important items, so I had to stop again and again to refer to them. ('L' would not have been pleased if we had ridden miles in the wrong direction so it was essential that we kept to the route ;) ). Having checked the route yet again, we pedalled along a cart track, bouncing over stones and rocks "Daddy, I don't like this; it is too rough, I'm going to fall off !" We crossed over three tiny bridges that spanned a rather murky pool of water, and eventually came back to a tarmac road.

It was at this point that 'L' had her moment of inspiration, and a few minutes later the plastic sleeve that had held all of our information was now elastoplasted to my handlebars, holding the torn up OS map in full, easy seen, glory. A DIY map holder of the highest quality - nothing could stop us now ! We pedalled onwards, the aim of the day was to reach Tarporley, about 11 miles away; not a huge distance, not even a small distance, but one that 'L' and I felt comfortable with. So we cycled through Tarvin, a pleasant village with a picturesque church, before turning off the road onto another track, this one muddy and churned by cattle. We were forced to push the bikes for a bit, but were soon back on the quiet country roads. We passed through Oscroft and stopped in Willington for lunch. Happily stuffed with good pub food, and having spent a few minutes chatting to a handsome horse and feeding it grass in the adjacent field, we set off again, swooping down the hills (well, perhaps not swooping, since 'L' is not too keen on going fast down slopes - and neither am I really), and aimed our bikes towards Oulton.

After maybe an hour of pleasant pootling, a car overtook us, then pulled in. A women of mature years got out of the driving seat and flagged us down. "I'm trying to get to Tarporley, but the A51 is closed, and the blasted TomTom will not tell me where to go!" Suppressing a small grin, I pointed to the crossroads about 20 yards ahead, the signpost to Tarporley just visible; "Turn right at this junction, and you should be fine" I said, so with a muttered thanks, she hopped back into her car and zoomed off. 'L' and I exchanged a wry smile and trundled over the cross roads, taking a long loop before we arrived at our destination. The last couple of miles were tiring for 'L' and she was immensely pleased to see 'The Swan Hotel' sign as we crawled up Tarporley High Street.

Our bags had been safely delivered by Carolyn, and within 30 minutes, we were checked in, our bikes locked up securely (in the kitchen we found out later), and we could rest our weary legs in the comfortable bar, sipping a Cains bitter and a lemonade.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
DAY TWO

Woke about 07:30am, and lazily packed the panniers and luggage. We wandered over to the dining room of the hotel, and tucked into the cereal and fruit juice. 'L' had some bacon and toast, but the bacon, it seems, was almost inedible due to being more salty than the Atlantic ocean. I, on the other hand, had some smoked haddock and a poached egg - just lovely.

We checked out, and freewheeled down the High Street, laughing as we were effortlessly taken down the hill - the wrong way !!!!!! A hurried check of the map, and a rather severe glare from 'L' had us straining back up the road until the correct turning appeared. We cruised through the empty lanes, passing through Tiverton and climbing the hill at Beeston. We stopped at Beeston Castle, but decided against paying the entrance fee, and instead amused ourselves for 30 minutes in the visitor centre. For some, unfathomable reason, both 'L' and myself forget to buy an ice cream - this is something that would have to be remedied later !

No sooner had the promise of an ice-cream been made, than we arrived in Bunbury, a lovely village with elegant and beautiful cottages, and were able to buy a much needed ice-cream.

From Bunbury we sauntered downwards, never clocking up more than 10mph, but not caring either, since it was such a pleasant, peaceful ride. We stopped to feed some more horses, then with a rumbling tummy, we halted in Faddiley, at The Thatch Inn. One lovely meal later, we slowly made our way south towards Cholmondelely.

The weather hadn't improved since the beginning. Cloudy, grey, overcast yet warm. There was only the faintest of breezes however, so I suppose the cycling was a pleasure even if the countryside wasn't at its best in the gloom. After a few miles we reached Cholmondelely Castle (pronounced "Chumley"). It had a most impressive driveway, a leafy avenue stretching for almost half a mile before it reached the ticket man. He, the ticket man, was very helful and friendly, pointing out the benefits of cycling in the grounds (cars have to park before the gardens, cyclists don't).

We spent a few hours there, playing on the climbing frames and swings (well, one of us did). We also wandered around the gardens which, even to my rather philistine's eye, were quite stunning. We had cake, we saw pigs and we bought some presents for those still at home. If you are ever in the area, I recommend it !

It was only a short few miles to our second nights accomodation, a farm house B&B near Malpas. It was, however, on the top of a long, steep(ish) drag, that came at the end of a rather tiring day. 'L' needed a little help to get to the top, but very soon we were happily esconsed in the warm, inviting amostphere of Hampton House farmhouse B&B. Our hosts could not have been more friendly or helpful, even driving us down to the local pub for dinner, and arranging for the pub to drive us back once we had finished. 'L' collapsed asleep as soon as we got back, but I managed to watch the football on TV, seeing Liverpool beat Liege in extra time !

Top Bottom