First tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lorrie

Regular
Hi everyone,
Tomorrow I set of on my very first tour I am very excited, only going for 4 days this time no going to far I only took up cycling a year ago when on my 50 birthday I bought my very first bike.
Took fully loaded bike out today to see how it felt with the extra weight and it was fine much better than I thought. So here I am about to fulfil a long held goal my first mini tour and hope many more to come.

videoman

Guru
Good luck on your tour. I am in a similar position as I am planning a 110 mile trip with a few overnight camps en route. Have you done much training?

OP
OP
Lorrie

Lorrie

Regular
Hi Videoman, training has consisted of lots of day rides gradually increasing the weight on the bike. Good luck on your tour :smile:

OP
OP
Lorrie

Lorrie

Regular
First tour completed, great fun not major mishaps. Need to make some adjustments to weight on bikes maybe fit front panniers. Can't wait to do it again just need to find some some mats for under the sleeping bags that make things a little more comfortable to sleep.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
First tour completed, great fun not major mishaps. Need to make some adjustments to weight on bikes maybe fit front panniers. Can't wait to do it again just need to find some some mats for under the sleeping bags that make things a little more comfortable to sleep.

Self-inflating sleeping mats are pretty cheap these days - I got one from Wilkos for £17 IIRC.
You certainly want something between you and the ground.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Self-inflating sleeping mats are pretty cheap these days - I got one from Wilkos for £17 IIRC.
You certainly want something between you and the ground.
Steady on Doc - this is a family forum:whistle:

Although, he's right of course. Thermarests and their cheaper copies are the way to go.

Bikerchick

Well done on your tour. I'm off on my 1st tour round France for about 5weeks soon. Did a 3day mini tour round west Wales earlier this year and luckily managed to pick those few days of summer we had!

Map reading isn't one of my strongest points and I'm not too good at gadgets, any suggestions with a gps. Has anyone used one of the garmins that take ordinary or rechargeable batteries as an electic charged one wont be much use. Are they easy to use, I don't want one with lots of fancy extras, just need to know where I'm going!

Well done on your first tour: there will be plenty more.

I disagree with The Doc and Richp about Thermarests or other 'cheap' blow-ups. I swear by an Exped Downmat 7 http://www.facewest.co.uk/Exped-Mats.html?CpField=Brand&CpValue=Exped (or synthetic, if summer touring) - admittedly it's a bit pricey, but you'll have many a warm and VERY comfortable night's sleep, which is most important IMO on long self-supporting trips.

willem

Über Member
I will support this. For years I slept on a Thermarest self inflating mattress, but never was quite comfortable. Also, they are quite bulky and heavy. So we bought Exped downmats, and these have indeed been very warm and comfy. However, technology moves on, and I would now probably buy a Thermarest Neoair Allseason insulated air mattress. Insulation is good enough down to a few degrees of freezing, and weight and bulk are once again much reduced. I am all in favour of light and compact enough to obviate the need for front panniers. If budget matters, the Exped Synmat Basic is a good idea.
Enjoy your rides,
Willem

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well done on your first tour: there will be plenty more.

I disagree with The Doc and Richp about Thermarests or other 'cheap' blow-ups. I swear by an Exped Downmat 7 http://www.facewest.co.uk/Exped-Mats.html?CpField=Brand&CpValue=Exped (or synthetic, if summer touring) - admittedly it's a bit pricey, but you'll have many a warm and VERY comfortable night's sleep, which is most important IMO on long self-supporting trips.
I use a Downmat 7 Dave! I grew to dislike the thermarest but it was a good, cheap starter.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If Dayvo finds that his mat is more comfy, then that's obviously right for him.
I wouldn't say a thermarest or whatever is the only way to go, but it's a way to go. Certainly you want something under the bag other than the groundsheet.

Top Bottom