First tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

STEPHAN DAVIS

I will be leaving on Thursday for my first tour through France and thought I'd better get myself some insurance and wondered if anyone had any advice?

Many thanks

Falwheeler

Post Office travel insurance is very good and will cover you for cycling if it's your means of transport, ie not racing or mountain biking. Basic cover for a week would be about £16.60 for a week

You have plenty of options, but do check what you want is included. lots of insurance will not cover your bike or equipment or bring it home if something goes wrong - this being health insurance cover not possessions. you don't mention what type of insurance, kit, bike, camera, health? health is more interesting because you must make sure they cover cycle touring.
One of the main one I looked at was the British Mountaineering Council health insurance. you have to be a member, but you can easily sign up - they cover cycle touring on their trek insurance ... quite good because it also covers you cycle touring over higher passes which some insurance companies can raise eyebrows over. This is an annual policy btw.

Standard travel insurance did not in our experience cover cycle touring, so contact the people you are looking at and ask! there is no point in taking out health insurance and not being able to use it.

France is also covered by the NHS's EHIC and if you do not have the card, get it now. Delivery was exceptionally quick when we last needed to renew our cards. This will be a pay in France and claim costs back option, if you need treatment, and getting the money back can take years. my step-father has been waiting 18 months so far but has had his claim approved!

Top Bottom