First tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cannondale boy

Über Member
I've been reading alot of information on this part of the forum about how you get around, what to eat, where to sleep. I have a hybrid bike, (which i commute with) probably not suitable for touring. Only going away for five days, so shouldn't be a problem as i won't be taking alot of stuff. I have two panniers which should be enough, and will be staying at youth hostels...i would camp but the weather lately has put me off.

I will be heading up to oban next week and will be cycling roughly 60+ miles a day at each hostel. Lets hope the weather stays fair :biggrin:. Once i arrive at the hostels, what is the best meal to prepare (something quick & no not pot noodles) for the next day?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Why do you want to prepare a meal a day in advance?

Pasta and a tinned sardines is cheap and wholesome. Chuck in some garlic, herbs etc

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
rich p said:
Why do you want to prepare a meal a day in advance?

Pasta and a tinned sardines is cheap and wholesome. Chuck in some garlic, herbs etc

Mackerel bolognese is one of my favourite meals.

Cous cous is a good alternative to pasta.

Corned beef + pasta source plus favourite pasta

I'd not bother preparing a meal for the following evening. Make sure that you have milk and porridge and sugar to hand for breakfast the following day though.

OP
OP
cannondale boy

cannondale boy

Über Member
I was just wondering what you guys eat at the end of the day (not preparing it a day before hand)...not expecting a three course meal or being at one of gordon ramsays restaurants. Just want to be prepared to take some stuff with me like pasta with a jar of sauce.

Nothing special :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

I cook the same thing in a hostel as I do at home, it'll have a decent cooker, grill, hob, fridge,etc all you need. If you are lucky there will also be a small group of ladies to help you out, or to impress with your efforts...cooking efforts I mean.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
cannondale boy said:
I was just wondering what you guys eat at the end of the day (not preparing it a day before hand)...not expecting a three course meal or being at one of gordon ramsays restaurants. Just want to be prepared to take some stuff with me like pasta with a jar of sauce.

Nothing special :biggrin:

If you're doing 60 miles a day for five days I think the best advice would be to eat what you enjoy. That said, it's a good idea to eat some carbs (e.g. pasta). The best bit of advice would be not to get too plastered every night as that might make the next day difficult.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Pasta and pesto...brill at the end of a day and very easy to cook.

And don't worry about having a hybrid - i toured on a hybrid for years and had a great time!!

You'll love it!!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Cathryn said:
Pasta and pesto...brill at the end of a day and very easy to cook.

And don't worry about having a hybrid - i toured on a hybrid for years and had a great time!!

You'll love it!!

A hybrid is quite a sensible choice for touring. My Ridgeback Horizon proved to be a reliable touring bike. Some folk use far less suitable bikes - last weekend I met a chap using a Brompton in Snowdonia. He was carrying more stuff that I was on my Dawes Galaxy.

Cathryn's suggestion is a good one, underpinned by the 'very easy to cook.'

At the end of a day's ride, the last thing that I want to do is faff about with food preparation. Pasta, cous cous, easy cook rice are all decent sources of carbohydrates along with pouches of pasta/savoury sauces. Tinned meat or fish add the protein. When I was in France I bought some of their tinned savoury dishes to go with the pasta etc.

I'm usually eating my food within 10-15 minutes of lighting the trangia. Deferred gratification is not something that I can live with when cycle camping. When staying in one spot for several days I'll then push the boat out and cook from scratch with fresh ingredients.

Re-reading the origianl post I now realise that the meal was to prepare the cyclist for the next day. Carbs from pasta etc are always a good idea to restock the glycogen stores as well as protein to repair muscle tissue.

A porridge breakfast is a great start to the day as its energy is released steadily for several hours afterwards.

coopman

I did my first tour last week in scotland, Glasgow to Inverness. I have a hybrid and it was perfect for the job. I camped 1 night but on the 2nd and 3rd nights I used Hostels as the weather was too bad (wet).
I did 65 miles, 50 miles, 55 miles then the last 30 to Inverness.
I dont know how fit you are, but my personal thoughts were cutting down distances a bit from that to enjoy it more, ie 50 or less a day. I underestimated how much the gear on the bike would slow me down, and of course scotland is very hilly!
When I camped I cooked up some of these hill walker meals you can buy in outdoor stores along with these pasta and rice ready meals you can get in the supermarket, they are quite light to carry and are high in Kcals. Supplemented diet with fruit and lunches bought along the way. To be honest I ate out a lot, was nice to have a meal put in front of me!!!
I used 2 rear panniers and a handlebar bag and had no probs getting gear in. If you are ditching the tent you will have even more space.
Good Luck

Tony

My typical meal is pasta spirals (quickest shape to cook) with a tin of chopped tomatoes dumped on it, mixed in with cheap ham, mushrooms, anything else, or a tin of stew on the pasta.
I always carry a couple of small spice/herb containers, to pep the meal up. I take chili powder and herbes de provence, or oregano.
One thing I do if I am really hungry is to grab a loaf, and cook up some "savoury rice" from a packet with more water than the recipe asks for. The bread then mops up the excess liquid. Lotsa carbs.
Always remember to have something to wear off-bike that allows bottom and feet to breathe, so a pair of trousers and spare shoes/flip-flops are a must.

Avoid taking jars of stuff as they weigh too much. Stick to packets of dried stuff if you can. I speak from experience...not exactly a jar but I lugged a bottle of red wine for the last 20 miles of a 75 mile day up a gert big hill on tour recently and I was not too clever at the top.

Bigtallfatbloke

If you shop late in the day (if possible) then I think the extra weight sisnt such a drag given the trade off of a good meal. If it's a hostel night then dump the gear and shop afterwards. However there are times (like the entire french jaunt I just did) when the shops just arnt open at the right times.

I carry a pack of ready mixed dried pasta with sauce for emergencies..just boil water and add type thing. Other wise I would rathe rhave a good meal for th esake of a few extra kilos for a few miles.

You could always phone ahead for pizza to be at the hostel /campsite when you arrive! Or how about Tescos you shop we drop:biggrin:

Top Bottom